[Vision2020] Escalation to Iran?

Tom Hansen thansen at moscow.com
Fri Jan 12 13:34:44 PST 2007

This is very possible, Sunil.

Currently the Army's maximum cap is set at 547,000.  With a forecast
increase (between the Army and Marines) of 92,000 troops and other global
commitments, our armed forces are spread incredibly thin.  If Bush is
considering military intervention in Iran, the Army's maximum cap will have
to be increased beyond 700,000, not to mention the other service branches.

The American people CANNOT let this trigger happy president continue
unchecked and without accountability.

Bush's intention is to gradually (over several months) introduce 10,000+
troops into Baghdad.  "Several months" does not define a surge.  "Sudden"
and "Decisive" are characteristics of a surge.  The problem is that we do
not have 25,000 additional troops currently trained, equipped, and readily
available.  A gradual buildup is suicidal.

The Iraqi Army is not reliable either (as Bush suggests).  It has been
stated in the Army Times that we would be lucky of 60% of the Iraqi Army
showed up for breakfast, let lone fight and defend.

"Seldom, if ever, has a war ended leaving the victors with such a sense of
uncertainty and fear -- with such a realization that the future is obscure
and that survival is not assured."

- Edward R. Murrow