[Vision2020] Selling Latah Health Services

Jerry Weitz gweitz at moscow.com
Wed Jan 10 20:54:10 PST 2007

Perhaps, the vote format should be reconsidered until we have a good idea
of what our options are.  I am not as worried about whether an entity is
non profit or for profit since the two Spokane facilities represent each
one. The for-profit takes on indigents and is not the most expensive of the
two.

I am concerned that long term care and skilled nursing will be lost to
Latah County folks and that our community will do its usual: hand wringing,
finger pointing and resolve nothing.    The two from Spokane are not chains
and are reputable.  They have church affiliations--Presbyterian and
Nazarene I believe.  I have no problem with this since Sacred Heart,
Deaconess, St. Joseph, and the like are church affiliated and do a good
job.  I certainly would not support not having Gritman in the mix.

In all cases, I believe the vote to end the reversionary clause is
necessary for recruitment efforts.  Gritman is correct in requesting this
removal.  I do not believe our commissioners will do anything
radical.  Although, I would have asked the voters for additional funding
with a known periodicity and made the case of indigent care, I
unfortuneately suspect ,in the end, that the patronage would have choosen
not  to support bond issues.    Jerry