[Vision2020] Governor's address, university salaries

Shirley Ringo ringoshirl at moscow.com
Tue Jan 9 11:42:26 PST 2007

Visionaries:

The matter of salary competitiveness for higher education has been high on my list of concerns.  Yesterday, during the Governor's State of the State address, he indicated he will recommend a 5% merit-based increase for state employees.

Later, in his address, he recommended $12 million to address higher education competitive salaries.  I was delighted for a while.  Since these were mentioned separately, I believed them to be separate recommendations.

Unfortunately, I have learned that the $12 million and the 5% raise in salary funding are one and the same.  I am disappointed because I don't believe that a 5% increase in salary funding will be enough help to address needs at the University to attract and retain outstanding professors and researchers.

Of course, the Governor's recommendation is not the final word.  We await action from the Joint Finance Committee and the Legislature.

Shirley Ringo