[Vision2020] Health Care

Andreas Schou ophite at gmail.com
Mon Jan 8 22:34:04 PST 2007

On 1/8/07, Kai Eiselein <fotopro63 at hotmail.com> wrote:

> I notice that Nick left out a critcal element in the health care issue:
> LAWYERS.
> How much of the high cost is a direct result of sleazy litigators and their
> often frivolous lawsuits, which result in higher malpractice insurance
> costs, which are then passed on to consumers?

1.5%, according to the Congressional Budget Office under a Republican
Congress. Hope that helps.

> One of the hardest hit areas in medicine is in the OB specialty and many
> highly qualified practitioners are leaving it because of outrageous
> insurance costs.

Insurance costs went up after the 1990s because the insurance
companies got soaked. And it's not like insurance is a bad business to
be in right now -- most insurance companies have realized that they
can make more money insuring fewer, more insurable people, then
soaking the rest for whatever they can get; there's a much steeper
curve.

-- ACS