[Vision2020] Saddam's Hanging

nickgier at adelphia.net nickgier at adelphia.net
Mon Jan 1 12:22:24 PST 2007

Greetings:

I just watched the hanging of Saddam Hussein on YouTube, and it is obvious that the Shiite dominated government made every effort to poke the Sunnis in the eye.  Shia militants were allowed to witness and photograph the execution and they were allowed to taunt and curse Saddam.

One Sunni moderate said that the government could have had a civilized execution of a criminal, but now the Sunnis have even more reason to celebrate him as a martyr.

Saddam should have been kept alive to finish out his trial for the gassing of 5,000 Kurds, and, if I could have my say, there should have been daily visits from his victims' families for the rest of his life.  For those of us who do not believe in Hell, Saddam got off very easy for his heinous crimes.

One Sunni representative is left on the 25-member council that runs Baghdad, and many more moderate Sunni politicians have left the country.  The very thing that the Bush administration desires, the success of the unity government now appears impossible.

I predict that the "surge" will fail just as one last summer did, and that all that Bush will have for his efforts is more caskets arriving at Dover Air Force Base.

We should all hang our heads in shame for what our government has done to the Iraqi people.

Nick Gier