[Vision2020] Will the People of Moscow -- and the City--Listen? Sidewalks m

Craine Kit kcraine at verizon.net
Tue Feb 27 15:43:28 PST 2007

Is there an attorney or someone out there who correct me if I'm wrong
on this?

There is only one area which is a dedicated public right-of-way. Most
of the center portion is reserved for vehicular traffic. Going
towards the outer edge there may or may not be a tree lawn then the
sidewalk, which often marks the boundary. This is not public property
like a park; it is an area where the public is free to cross private
property. The right-of-way is dedicated when land is developed. The
property owners pay to build both the streets and the sidewalks.

The difference is in what is allowed to traverse the areas and who is
responsible for maintaining them. For instance, motorized vehicles
generally are not allowed to use sidewalks. In some places,
pedestrians are not allowed in the street. In most places (including
Idaho), the City is responsible for maintaining the streets while
property owners are responsible for the sidewalks and tree lawn.

Whether snow removal responsibility falls on the property owner or
the City, the property owners pay for it--either in labor or taxes.
It takes me a least 25 minutes to clear my driveway. The sidewalk is
a sneeze on top of that. Personally, I am not fond of the idea that
on top of shovelling my driveway, I would be forced to pay taxes to
clear a sidewalk that belongs to someone who doesn't bother to do
theirs-- particularly if it is a rental.

Kit