[Vision2020] Coming to a theatre near you?

Carl Westberg carlwestberg846 at hotmail.com
Mon Feb 26 17:10:26 PST 2007

Boise State story getting closer to silver screen

Dennis Dodd 	Feb. 26, 2007
By Dennis Dodd
CBS SportsLine.com Senior Writer
Tell Dennis your opinion!

Boise State will announce Tuesday it has sold the rights for at least one
film to be produced about its 2006 football season, CBS SportsLine.com has
learned.
Click here to find out more!

The school is expected to a deal for both a documentary and a major-studio
film. Veteran director Michael Hoffman, who attended Boise State, was coy
when contacted Monday.

"I can talk to you in a couple of days," said Hoffman, an Oxford-educated
veteran who has worked with the likes of George Clooney, Kevin Kline, Robert
Downey Jr. and Michelle Pfeiffer on wide-release films.

Asked if he might be involved with the school, Hoffman said: "I might be."

The school had been contacted by five production entities on both coasts
following its 43-42 overtime victory over Oklahoma in the Fiesta Bowl. At
least one book is in the works.

Boise State's story will be made into a movie. (US Presswire)
Boise State's story will be made into a movie. (US Presswire)
"We got contacted by different producers who compared it to David and
Goliath-like stories," said Frank Zang, director of communications for the
school. "I don't even know if Hollywood could write a script that matches
the real life story of the Broncos."

Rookie coach Chris Petersen went undefeated, his Broncos beating the Sooners
with a series of trick plays on Jan. 1. The game veered off the field and
into morning show territory when tailback Ian Johnson proposed to
cheerleader Chrissy Popadics after the game.

"It gave us a little bit of an inkling how the game had touched America,"
Zang said. "If we had gone out and won 28-14 ... the story is a different
story. It was almost a very surreal moment."

The school already has consulted with Marshall University which cooperated
on the recent film We Are Marshall. The sale of feature rights are in the
$250,000-$750,000 range, Zang said. A documentary would probably be made
first. Feature film rights can be held for years before a film is produced.

"It's fun we're having this conversation on the heels of the Academy Awards
last night," Zang said.