[Vision2020] The Dougs et al.

Ralph Nielsen nielsen at uidaho.edu
Mon Feb 26 15:17:15 PST 2007

Be careful how you quote scripture, Doug. Others can do the same. You
quoted from Psalm 55, so can I.

"Let Him [God] incite death against them; may they go down alive into
Sheol!" (Psalm 55:16a NJPS).

Because the opening statement is part of the text of the Psalms, it
is called verse 1 in Jewish Bibles. So this verse is vs. 15 in Xian
Bibles.

The Jewish Study Bible has this note: 16: The phrase "to go down
alive into Sheol," also used in Num. 16:33, expresses sudden death.

Is this the kind of imprecatory prayer they utter in Christ Church? I
have a feeling I have been the object of this kind of prayer for a
number of years. And you do know where and what Sheol is, don't you,
Doug? That's where we all go, both good and evil, when we die. See
Eccles. 3:17-21. The last verse is a rhetorical question; the answer
is No. And don't forget that "those who go down to Sheol do not come
up" (Job 7:9). So be careful what you pray for, because you might get
there sooner than you think.

Ralph