[Vision2020] Icons

Ralph Nielsen nielsen at uidaho.edu
Sun Feb 25 19:55:56 PST 2007

An interesting observation, David.

We have to remember that in olden times very few people could read
and there was practically nothing available to read anyway. So
communication was either visual or oral or a combination of the two.
And we mustn't forget music, which in church rituals and opera is a
combination of the two.

Here we have some interesting contrasts. In the western church, both
statuary and instrumental music were permitted, but in the eastern
church only flat icons and non-instrumental music were permitted. But
the later religion of Islam went even further in prohibiting both
musical and pictorial forms of worship. Verbal only.

I wonder if the prohibition of statues derives from a wandering
pastoral society, where it would be awkward to haul statues around
with them. And if statues and music were more appropriate to settled
urban societies. But it gets more complicated than that, doesn't it?

Ralph