[Vision2020] Sidewalks:

Tom Hansen thansen at moscow.com
Sun Feb 25 14:10:01 PST 2007

Good questions.

One other question (out of curiosity more than anything else):  Are the
walkways in front of private businesses considered to be easements where the
business owner and the city government have a shared responsibility?  Or are
the walkways considered part of the business' real property?

Correct me if I am mistaken, but wasn't "management" of the sidewalks a key
issue when discussing sidewalk vendors (a while back)?  Wasn't it decided
that the sidewalks (to a degree) were/are property under management by the
local business and, as such, restricted sidewalk vendors to public venues
(such as Friendship Square)?

I bring up the "sidewalk vendor" theme to emphasize a potential issue.  If
the sidewalks are sufficiently under "management" of the local businesses to
prevent sidewalk vendors from "setting up camp", couldn't this same claim be
used to force local businesses to maintain the sidewalks in front of their
businesses?

Thoughts?

Tom Hansen
Moscow, idaho