[Vision2020] Will the People of Moscow -- and the City -- Listen? Sidewalks must be kept clear

Linda Pall lpall at moscow.com
Sat Feb 24 12:58:40 PST 2007

Dear Saundra and Visionaries,

Since the letter Lois wrote to me arrived at my e-mail in-box at 10:03 A.M.,
I was in my office Friday morning and replied at 11:40 A.M..  I'm sure the
editorial page of the Friday Daily News had probably been put to bed the day
before. I think the agendas showing this as a topic of consideration for
Monday's 4:30 P.M. Public Works/Finance Committee meeting came out around
4:30 P.M. Friday afternoon. (I will be in Missoula on business Monday but
John Weber will chair the meeting and you and everyone are welcome to be
part of this discussion!) I go into all of this to try to illustrate that
one city council member is looking to welcome citizen comment on this vexing
matter and believes that we are talking about it improving the system.

The basic reality is that, outside of serious criminal laws, most of our
local and state laws are enforced on a complaint-basis. And even some of
those criminal laws on the books are not the subject of regular enforcement
actions by the contabulary. Lewd cohabitation (living with someone without
benefit of clergy) used to be on the statute books in Idaho and perhaps
still is, though I could not find it is a quick search of the Moroccan bound
volumes in my office. I do not recall any Latah County prosecutor in my 34
years of life in Idaho prosecuting someone under that statute...

Saundra, see my response to Lois below and try to come to the PWF Committee
meeting Monday afternoon or tune in on cable if you have it. The Mayor and
Council are concerned about this and realize how dangerous sidewalks can
cause terrible consequences for anyone but especially for those already with
infirmaties. I am a prime example of one who is concerned about this, "up
close and personal!" I try to have my walks maintained during the winter and
deeply appreciate those who do.

We are all REALLY trying to do the right thing by the citizens of Moscow...

All the best to you, Saundra, and to the collected Visionaries,

Linda Pall
Moscow City Council

BELOW IS LINDA'S RESPONSE (11:40 AM, 2/23/07) TO LOIS BLACKBURN'S E-MAIL
(10:03 AM, 2/23/07):

Dear Lois (I'm going informal no matter what here...),

Thanks for your e-mail. Please be advised that I have asked that the
discussion of enforcement of our existing city ordinances and other citizen
and council ideas regrading this truly important matter be on the Public
Works/Finance Agenda on the Monday, February 26, meeting at 4:30 P.M. in the
COuncil Chambers. Kit Craine has developed a proposal that is more assertive
than the city's current enforcement stance which relies primarily on
citizen-initiated complaints.

We should certainly address the question of winter access to our streets and
sidewalks for people with disabilities as well as those without.

We welcome your comments and proposals for discussion Monday (and by letter
or any other means you would like to involve us!). As you are aware, there
is a lot of competition for city funds and our efforts often have to balance
various interests. I hope to see a balanced, affordable approach proposed.

I am unable to attend Monday's meeting (and the one on March 12) because of
business commitments out of town.

I think you will find Kit's proposal very dehlpful to the discussion. Thanks
for ewriting.

Sincerely,