[Vision2020] Will the People of Moscow -- and the City -- Listen? Sidewalks must be kept clear

Saundra Lund sslund at roadrunner.com
Sat Feb 24 00:33:40 PST 2007

Visionaries:

The following letter appeared in Friday's Daily News, and I echo Lois
Blackburn's concerns about sidewalks in this city during winter.  Some
people & some businesses do an excellent job, but others don't.  My teen is
one who actually tries to walk home (and sometimes to school) for the
exercise most days, and snow times this winter have made the experience an .
. . unpleasant adventure for her to try to find shoveled routes for her 1.75
mile walk between school and home.

Quite frankly, I'm getting pretty sick and tired of having laws and
regulations on the books that are *supposed* to ensure a high quality of
life for those who live here only to find out time and again that the
"rules" are ignored -- and even flaunted -- because some folks have figured
out we have no enforcement  :-(
__________

LETTERS TO THE EDITOR
Friday, February 23, 2007 - Page Updated at 01:10:47 PM

Sidewalks must be kept clear

There is a form of free winter recreation that the city of Moscow could give
to the residents: walking on the city sidewalks. Currently, this form of
recreation is unavailable or very dangerous for a significant portion of the
winter because the city does not enforce its existing ordinance requiring
residents to shovel the snow from their sidewalks. New snow gives good
footing, but once it has been packed down or melted on the surface, the
resulting surface ice becomes a menace.

It seems to be a problem that can be solved. The only personnel required
would be someone to drive the streets and hang a warning tag on the door of
every property in violation, making a note of the address. I believe that
this would be effective for the large proportion of nonshoveling residents
who simply don't bother because it is correctly assumed that the law is
never enforced. Citations, with fines attached, could be issued to those who
do not respond. The income from fines could be used as an assistance fund to
pay someone to clear sidewalks for elderly, handicapped, or ill citizens.

My aging bones rebel against shoveling snow, but I employ someone to do it
for me. Owners of rental property or people going out of town could do the
same.

I walk around town every day, and on my rounds have frequently met two young
men who ride up and down Third Street in their wheelchairs. Until this week,
I hadn't seen them since November, presumably because of the icy obstacles
on the sidewalks. Isn't there some requirement for accommodation for
residents with disabilities?

Many cities have such ordinances and enforce them. If we can't afford to
enforce our laws, are we a viable city?

Lois Blackburn, Moscow

Thanks, Lois, for taking the time to write to help us *all* be able to more
safely enjoy winter on the Palouse!

Saundra Lund
Moscow, ID

nothing.
- Edmund Burke

***** Original material contained herein is Copyright 2007, Saundra Lund.
Do not copy, forward, excerpt, or reproduce outside the Vision 2020 forum
without the express written permission of the author.*****