[Vision2020] A Must-See Video -- Cellular Visions: The Inner Life of a Cell

heirdoug at netscape.net heirdoug at netscape.net
Thu Feb 22 16:20:06 PST 2007

Praise be to Darwin!

http://www.studiodaily.com/main/technique/tprojects/6850.html

>From Studio Daily — Cellular Visions: The Inner Life of a Cell

Nuclei, proteins and lipids move with bug-like authority, slithering,
gliding and twisting through 3D space. “All of those things that you
see in the animation are going on in every one of your cells in your
body all the time,” says XVIVO lead animator John Liebler, who worked
with company partners David Bolinsky, XVIVO’s medical director, and
Mike Astrachan, the project’s production director, to blend the
academic data and narrative from Harvard’s faculty into a fluid visual
interpretation. “First, we couldn’t have known where to begin with all
of this material without significant work done by Alain Viel, Ph.D.
[associate director of undergraduate research at Harvard University],
who wrote and guided the focus to include the essential processes that
needed to be described to complement the curriculum and sustain an
interesting narrative. I’ve been in the medical animation field for
seven years now, so I’m a little jaded, but I still get surprised by
things. For instance, in the animation there’s a motor protein that’s
sort of walking along a line, carrying this round sphere of lipids.
When I started working on that section I admit I was kind of surprised
to see that it really does look like it’s out for a stroll, like a
character in a science fiction film or animation. But based on all the
data, it’s a completely accurate rendering.”