[Vision2020] Galielo & The Inquistiion: was Bush Admin on global warming

Ted Moffett starbliss at gmail.com
Sun Feb 11 15:49:19 PST 2007

Ralph et. al.

I have pondered how much Bush's religious faith is sincere, or a pose to
gain the loyalty of the 35 million strong "Religious Right" voting block,
arguably the most powerful single voting block in the US electorate.  I
don't know how I could answer this question without getting to know Bush
personally and informally.

Whether Bush thought that the invasion and occupation of Iraq was a wise
idea, based on what seems to me to be a faulty understanding of history, the
ethnic and religious conflicts, and the likelihood of achieving a good
outcome by the use of military force, or whether he believes God told him it
was the best course of action, the result is the same, frightening either
way!

On the issue of global warming, which is a more science based issue than
decisions on the Iraq war, a religiously based anti-science bias on the part
of the Bush administration, I agree, frightens me also!  Even if it is just
a pose to appeal to the those in the "Religious Right" who seek to undermine
science as a means of knowledge that should be respected.

A friend of mine who teaches high school science in a very conservative
religious community has been taken to task for posting scientific
information on global warming in the classroom.  This sort of development
reminds me of Galileo and the Inquisition!  How many realize the similarity
between the suppression of scientific information on global warming by the
Bush administration, and the suppression of Galileo's findings on astronomy?

http://www.law.umkc.edu/faculty/projects/ftrials/galileo/galileoaccount.html

Quote below from web link above:

"His noble goal of spreading scientific awareness to the public was being
frustrated by a narrow-minded bureaucracy intent on preserving its own
power."

Ted Moffett