[Vision2020] Moscow in Years Gone By

Tom Hansen thansen at moscow.com
Sat Feb 10 06:09:48 PST 2007

Greetings Visionaires -

Many people have been quite public in their criticism of Moscow's city
council and its perceived no-growth concept, that the previous city council
was far more supportive of our community's development.

Judging by the Moscow City Council's Strategic Plan of 2002 - 2004, I
heartily agree with those critics.  Not that our current city council is
"no-growth" oriented, but that its predecessor had visions of what Moscow
could become.

The problem with that city council's "vision" was that it was never
implemented by that city council.  Judging by the "Strategic Plan 2002 -
2004" (linked and posted below) all of the identified measures were to be
executed, and become reality, a full year before the November 2005 city
council election.

Perhaps they were simply too busy pursuing topless car washes.

--------------------------------------

The Moscow City Council's Strategic Plan 2002 - 2004
http://www.moscow.id.us/council/strategicplan.asp

Strategic Plan 2002 - 2004

1. Develop a comprehensive plan for promoting arts and culture in Moscow by
9/30/2004.

2. Identify elements of a comprehensive multi-modal transportation plan and
begin implementation by 9/30/2004.

3. Identify elements of a comprehensive water resource plan and begin
implementation by 9/30/2004.

4. Develop and implement a plan for eGOV by 9/30/2004.

5. Develop and implement a program by 9/30/2003 to enhance employee
satisfaction, recruitment, retention and performance.

6. Develop and implement by 9/30/2004 an administrative and financial
program to address long-term needs.

7. Identify and pursue actions by 9/30/2004 to promote economic and
community revitalization.

8. Implement a plan to complete City Hall remodel project, Hamilton
Recreation Center project, 1912 Fundraising project and Paradise Path
property acquisition between 6th and Blaine Streets by 10/1/2002.

I would like to thank Dale Courtney's BLog for pointing out this
discrepancy, but I won't.

and the Realist adjusts his sails."

- Unknown