[Vision2020] Godwin's Law Strikes Again!

Sunil Ramalingam sunilramalingam at hotmail.com
Thu Feb 8 07:30:59 PST 2007

Gary,

So if an African-American killed the same person in the manner you describe,
the statement "That miserable nigger just cut the head off of a American
non-combatant," would not be racist?

You're right, I don't like or agree with your rationale.

I think it's a mistake to link emotion with the use of racist language or
attitudes.  Racist decisions and statements are easily made in the absence
of emotion; I think they're the results of attitudes developed over a
lifetime and ingrained in cultures and individual people.  I don't think any
particular 'race' or group has a monopoly on racism.  I know I've often
heard racist statements expresses as casually as a request for a drink of
water.  There's no requirement for actions as you suggest; statements
express one's views quite effectively.

Sunil