[Vision2020] The Best Option

Tom Hansen thansen at moscow.com
Sun Feb 4 07:25:47 PST 2007

>From Saturday's (February 3, 2007) Lewiston Tribune with thanks to Verla
Olson -

The best option

Latah Health Services began as the "county poor farm." residents contributed
to the production of the farm. They felt needed in helping with the chores.
The county was the only source of funds for the operation.

As the residents aged, they needed more assistance. The buildings'
inadequacies were recognized by Grace Wicks and Lola Clyde who, with others,
campaigned throughout the county for a new building that would reflect the
dignity of our people. In 1957 and l981, the citizens taxed themselves to
provide a building that was unique, becoming the first nursing home licensed
in the state. It still holds License No. 1.

Latah Health Services' Board of Directors were leaders in providing care not
offered: the first physical therapy, the first home health agency, the first
assisted living and the special diets for the Meals on Wheels service.

Now these services must be are met by others. It seems the best option is to
transfer ownership to Gritman Medical Center with the mandate that they have
accepted to restore the building and provide further services not now
available in our community; continued use of the therapy pool, enlarged
facilities for adult day health as well as wellness programs and treatments
to keep us from needing the long stays that were once common in nursing
homes. ... Our citizens will help direct the facilitys use and its continued
existence for the good of ourselves and our neighbors.

Vote Feb. 6 in favor of the transfer of ownership from the county to Gritman
Medical Center.

Verla Olson
Past Administrator
Latah Health Services
Moscow

Let us fulfill a promise made by the Latah County Commissioners to the
citizens of Latah County by voting Yes on Tuesday.

Seeya at the polls, Moscow.

"Don't tell me why I can't.
Show me how I can."

- Author Unknown