[Vision2020] why I'm voting yes (was:Kicking them out)

Donovan Arnold donovanjarnold2005 at yahoo.com
Sat Feb 3 12:52:33 PST 2007

Keely,

  I would agree, nothing would be better than;

  "for the elderly poor in our area than allowing an established, financially solid, community-oriented hospital board to take control of facilities that will serve them now and will serve
them better when expanded."

  But that isn't going to happen. A yes vote sells the building where the indigent in our community are suppose to reside. Once their home is gone, they are forced to leave the community and go to another town or city, like Lewiston, St. Maries, or Spokane, away from their friends, and families here where they want to be.

  Gritman cannot provide and will not provide assisted or skilled nursing care (it doesn't work that way). In addition, there are a large number of people, employees, and residents, that don't want to be run by Gritman. They want a diversity of options in health care. One corporation with monopolistic control of every health related care facility in the region is not good for responding to the demands and requests of the people they serve.

  The cheaper and proper solution here is to find revenue to reopen Latah Health Services and to encourage Gritman to expand in another location.

  It is a false dilemma to state that the LHS building has to be a business or another wing of Gritman. It can be a separate entity providing shelter and health services to the indigent and disabled elderly.

  Donovan J Arnold
CNA

keely emerinemix <kjajmix1 at msn.com> wrote:
  I can't imagine anything better for the elderly poor in our area than
allowing an established, financially solid, community-oriented hospital
board to take control of facilities that will serve them now and will serve
them better when expanded.

I can't imagine anything worse for the elderly poor in our area, and
everyone else, than to let this property and the land it sits on slip away
to be sold to the highest commercial-use buyer. I've heard that possible
replacements, if that happens, will be a car dealership or, perhaps, a
clothing retailer.

It seems clear to me upon examining both sides of this debate that the move
that makes the most sense for patients, their families, and the community is
the one that allows Gritman to buy the property and overturn the
reversionary clause. It makes sense from a "people perspective," and it
makes sense from a business perspective.

What doesn't make sense is that somehow my enthusiastic "yes" vote on
Tuesday will result in anyone's being kicked to the curb, but if it thusly
disables bad arguments and scare tactics, it'll accomplish even more than I
intend.

keely