[Vision2020] The UI Friday Letter from UI President Tim White (February 2, 2007)

Tom Hansen thansen at moscow.com
Fri Feb 2 05:21:34 PST 2007

Copied and pasted below is the UI Friday Letter from UI President Tim White
for February 2, 2007.

University of Idaho
Office of the President
Moscow, Idaho 83844-3151
Phone: 208-885-6365
Fax: 208-885-6558

The Friday Letter
A Newsletter for University of Idaho Alumni and Friends Feb. 2, 2007

Dear Friends,

Last week at the legislative events in Boise, one of the issues discussed
was the importance of attracting more Idaho high school seniors to pursue a
college/university education in Idaho. Currently, just 45 percent of our
high school graduates go directly to post-secondary education - the
fourth-lowest rate in America. In addition, student enrollments at state
public institutions have hit a lull; we're seeing limited growth or actual
decreases in enrollment.

At the University of Idaho, we are analyzing and addressing enrollment
management through a variety of means. To integrate and add new resources to
our enrollment efforts, we conducted a national search and selected Bruce M.
Barnes, chair and professor of naval science, as assistant vice president
for enrollment management. Bruce will lead the University's recruitment
efforts, planning and implementing enrollment strategies that match the
institution's strengths and needs with those of future students. Our goal,
and Bruce's charge, is to enhance the number and quality of students that
the University of Idaho attracts, enrolls, retains and graduates.

Join me in welcoming two other important additions to our leadership team.
Biogeochemist Robert W. Smith accepted appointment as associate vice
president and chief executive of University of Idaho's Center for Higher
Education in Idaho Falls. Bob also will serve as associate director for
research at the Center for Advanced Energy Studies (CAES). Since 2001, he
has been a distinguished professor of subsurface science for the
University's biological and agricultural engineering department in Idaho
Falls, and serves as the associate director for the Big Sky Carbon
Sequestration Partnership. John Tracy, professor of Civil Engineering and
director of the Idaho Water Resources Research Institute, has accepted the
interim appointment as vice president for Research, following Chuck Hatch's
retirement earlier this month. John is internationally recognized for his
work in water, and came to the University of Idaho in 2004 from the Desert
Research Institute. He will focus his vice-presidential duties primarily
'externally' on statewide and federal issues, including resource acquisition
and stimulation of multi-disciplinary partnerships. Gene Merrill, associate
vice president for Research, will increase his portfolio to lead most of the
'internal' operating and compliance duties. A national search is well
underway to recruit a permanent new vice president.

Tim White
President

Here's the latest news from the University of Idaho:

The University community is saddened by the death of Paul Windley, professor
of architecture and former dean of the College of Art and Architecture.
Paul battled leukemia for the past year, and the University community and
extends heartfelt sympathies to his family and friends. The Paul Windley
Scholastic Achievement Endowment has been created to support faculty members
in the College of Art and Architecture for scholarly work. Memorials may be
sent to the University's Gift Administration Office.

James '70 and Kathryn '73 Whistler recently established a law student
scholarship initiative at the University of Idaho College of Law. The
Initiative will provide a three-year recruiting scholarship to be awarded to
an outstanding student who enters the college in fall 2007. The intention of
the initiative is to help the College of Law recruit and enroll students who
are graduates of the University of Idaho and residents of the state.
Additionally, the Whistlers have requested that preference be given to those
students who are married, raising children and who have a business or
communication undergraduate degree. "We wanted to create a scholarship that
we could have used when we were in law school," said James and Kathryn. "The
goal of our gift is to help students who are working hard, are motivated to
better themselves, and who are raising children. These are the people who we
feel deserve a little extra help and the chance to earn a law degree." To
learn more about giving to the College of Law, contact Michele Bartlett at
(208) 364-4044 or bartlett at uidaho.edu.

Academy Award-winning actress Patty Duke will be starring in the new play
"Billion Dollar Baby" as part of the New Works Festival Feb. 8-17 at the
Hartung Theatre. The Department of Theatre and Film and the Idaho Repertory
Theatre present the festival. In addition, "By Design" by David Eames-Harlan
will be staged. Eames-Harlan and the play won first place last year at the
national Kennedy Center American College Theatre Festival in the playwright
category.

Seeya round town, Moscow.

Take care, Vandals.

UI '96

Came a tribe from the north brave and bold . . .

"Here We Have Idaho"
http://www.tomandrodna.com/HWHI.mp3

"I-D-A-H-O Idaho Idaho Go Go Go"
http://www.tomandrodna.com/Vandals.mp3