[Vision2020] Soldier Called Back to Iraq as Infant Struggles for Life

Paul Rumelhart godshatter at yahoo.com
Wed Dec 26 19:26:22 PST 2007

I am conflicted by this story.  I see the stress that is being put on
him and his family.  I can also see the legal point that he was told he
was granted extended leave by someone not permitted to grant such leave,
and thus it is invalid from the point of view of his chain of command in
Iraq.  For one thing, we don't know what that soldiers job is in Iraq,
or what he might be doing if he returned.  It's possible that if he does
not return in time that the lives of US servicemen or Iraqi civilians
might be put at undue risk.  How can we know?

If it really is just a screwup with someone making the wrong decision
based on the fact that the baby was discharged from the nursery, then
maybe it will be worked out in time, or maybe he will be able to ask for
extended leave once he gets back in country and be shipped out again.  I
wouldn't place all the blame on that one phone call, though - it sounds
like the Red Cross screwed up by asking the rear detachment for the
leave authorization in the first place instead of asking it of the right
people in Iraq, and the officer posted at the rear detachment screwed up
by granting it as well.

This kind of crap happens in the country's largest bureaucracy.  It
sucks for the soldier and it sucks for the soldier's family.  I don't
think it's indicative of some new kind of anti-family policy on the part
of the Army, it was just a series of unfortunate events.  What we used
to call a Charlie Foxtrot (cluster f***), back when I was in the Navy.

Paul