[Vision2020] Creation vs. Evolution

Nick Gier ngier at uidaho.edu
Sat Dec 22 18:05:57 PST 2007

Hi Jeff:

Here are the "selected publications" that Scott
Minnich lists on his department website.  I would
be willing to lay a huge bet that in none of his
publications does Prof. Minnich challenge the
theory of evolution, let alone prove intelligent design.

That fact that Prof. Minnich testified in the PA
trial was an emabarrassment to the UI and
President White was the first known university
president to publicly declare that creationism
was not science.  It was one of UI's finest hours.

Would you now care to cite a peer reviewed
publication that disproves evolution?  Your first
ball bounced off the net right back at you.

By the way, philosophers stopped counting angels
on any surface about 700 years ago.  This
particular philosopher is now more concerned
about neo-Confederate influences on our fair city.

Nick

Selected Publications by Scott Minnich:

V. Kapatral , J. W. Campbell, S. A. Minnich, N.
R. Thomson, P. Matsumura and B. M. Pruess. 2004.
Gene array analysis of Yersinia enterocolitica
FlhD and FlhC: regulation of enzymes affecting
synthesis and degradation of carbamoylphosphate.
Microbiology 150: p. 2289-2300.

Monday S.R., Minnich S.A., Feng PC. 2004. A
12-base-pair deletion in the flagellar master
control gene flhC causes nonmotility of the
pathogenic German sorbitol-fermenting Escherichia
coli O157:H-strains. J Bacteriol. 186:2319-2327.

Yoon J.W., Minnich S.A., Ahn J.S., Park Y.H.,
Paszczynski A., Hovde C.J. 2004. Thermoregulation
of the Escherichia coli O157:H7 pO157 ecf operon
and lipid A myristoyl transferase activity
involves intrinsically curved DNA. Mol. Microbiol. 51:419-435.

Ely B., Ely T.W, Crymes W.B. Jr, Minnich S.A.
2000. A family of six flagellin genes contributes
to the Caulobacter crescentus flagellar filament. J. Bacteriol. 182:5001-5004.

Rohde J.R., Luan X.S., Rohde H., Fox J.M.,
Minnich S.A. 1999. The Yersinia enterocolitica
pYV virulence plasmid contains multiple intrinsic
DNA bends which melt at 37 degrees C. J Bacteriol 181:4198-4204.

At 02:43 PM 12/22/2007, you wrote:
>Joe Campbell,
>
>You are becoming most predicable in your tactics.
>
>Gary made two statements (or perhaps only one statement), if Paul is correct:
>
>Statement 1: As if good scientists made up their own data in the laboratory.
>
>Pure sarcasm.  I have confidence that if Gary
>wished to assert that Some or All scientists
>made up their own data, that he would have said that.
>
>You are asserting that he meant something altogether different.
>
>Statement 2: Why the very notion that data might
>be faked by Scientists must be preposterous.
>
>Again, pure sarcasm and the same conclusion.
>
>You are, of course, free to attribute any
>meaning you wish to either or both of the
>statements and to restate the statements to
>whatever you wish, but you are not free to
>credit him with those altered statements.  That
>would be a breach of academic ethics.
>
>It does appear that you have decided to pursue
>misrepresentations of my previous postings to
>you.  I am calling you out on this again.  I did
>not, ever, state that philosophy or logic was
>not a science, nor did I state that economics
>was more of a science than logic or philosophy.
>Just as you did with Gary, you fabricated the
>issue and attributed it to me.  That is academic dishonesty.
>
>The reference to my family and how I spend my
>time on Friday evenings was petty and out of
>line. Most readers of this post will recognize
>the hypocrisy of your post.  For what it is
>worth, the family had a good chuckle over the matter.
>
>For those interested in the
>evolution/intelligent design thread, here is an interesting piece:
>
>http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2004/10/041030215341.htm
>
>Another interesting piece:
>
>http://links.jstor.org/sici?sici=0094-8373(198024)6%3A1%3C119%3AIANAGT%3E2.0.CO%3B2-U
>
>As I understand the matter of the protocol of
>betting,  Andreas called the bet first - so Mr.
>Campbell loses again.  Andreas appears to have
>conceded the five biologists - that is fine with
>me.  I did a quick search through Google Scholar
>and found several hundred thousands hits on
>evolution theory, challenges to evolution theory
>and intelligent design.  Since one local
>biologist, Prof Scot Minnich has argued on
>intelligent design and the Gould piece above
>outlines some challenges to Darwin theory, I am
>reasonably confident that there are three or
>four more advocates of intelligent design out
>there publishing in "peer review"
>journals.  Someone with more time feel free to
>continue the investigation.  As to winner or
>loser of the bet, I offer two outcomes for
>Andreas - we could call it a draw and move
>on.  Or we could just say that I only offered up
>two or three examples and hence Andreas
>wins.  Whatever you choose Andreas is fine with me.
>
>Now, everyone is wished a happy holiday from
>yours truly - yes, even you Mr. Campbell.
>
>If any of you get a caning rod or a hickory
>switch, it is probably because you deserved
>it.  But you will also get something nice,
> [...]

"Truth is the summit of being; justice is the
application of it to human affairs."
--Ralph Waldo Emerson

"Abstract truth has no value unless it incarnates
in human beings who represent it, by proving their readiness to die for it."
  --Mohandas Gandhi

"Modern physics has taught us that the nature of
any system cannot be discovered by dividing it
into its component parts and studying each part
by itself. . . .We must keep our attention fixed
on the whole and on the interconnection between
the parts. The same is true of our intellectual
life. It is impossible to make a clear cut
between science, religion, and art. The whole is
never equal simply to the sum of its various parts." --Max Planck

Nicholas F. Gier
Professor Emeritus, Department of Philosophy, University of Idaho
1037 Colt Rd., Moscow, ID 83843
http://www.class.uidaho.edu/ngier/home.htm
208-882-9212/FAX 885-8950
President, Idaho Federation of Teachers, AFL-CIO
http://www.class.uidaho.edu/ngier/ift.htm