[Vision2020] (no subject)

Jeff Harkins jeffh at moscow.com
Sat Dec 22 14:43:45 PST 2007

Joe Campbell,

You are becoming most predicable in your tactics.

Gary made two statements (or perhaps only one statement), if Paul is correct:

Statement 1: As if good scientists made up their own data in the laboratory.

Pure sarcasm.  I have confidence that if Gary
wished to assert that Some or All scientists made
up their own data, that he would have said that.

You are asserting that he meant something altogether different.

Statement 2: Why the very notion that data might
be faked by Scientists must be preposterous.

Again, pure sarcasm and the same conclusion.

You are, of course, free to attribute any meaning
you wish to either or both of the statements and
to restate the statements to whatever you wish,
but you are not free to credit him with those
altered statements.  That would be a breach of academic ethics.

It does appear that you have decided to pursue
misrepresentations of my previous postings to
you.  I am calling you out on this again.  I did
not, ever, state that philosophy or logic was not
a science, nor did I state that economics was
more of a science than logic or philosophy. Just
as you did with Gary, you fabricated the issue
and attributed it to me.  That is academic dishonesty.

The reference to my family and how I spend my
time on Friday evenings was petty and out of
line. Most readers of this post will recognize
the hypocrisy of your post.  For what it is
worth, the family had a good chuckle over the matter.

For those interested in the evolution/intelligent
design thread, here is an interesting piece:

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2004/10/041030215341.htm

Another interesting piece:

http://links.jstor.org/sici?sici=0094-8373(198024)6%3A1%3C119%3AIANAGT%3E2.0.CO%3B2-U

As I understand the matter of the protocol of
betting,  Andreas called the bet first - so Mr.
Campbell loses again.  Andreas appears to have
conceded the five biologists - that is fine with
me.  I did a quick search through Google Scholar
and found several hundred thousands hits on
evolution theory, challenges to evolution theory
and intelligent design.  Since one local
biologist, Prof Scot Minnich has argued on
intelligent design and the Gould piece above
outlines some challenges to Darwin theory, I am
reasonably confident that there are three or four
more advocates of intelligent design out there
publishing in "peer review" journals.  Someone
with more time feel free to continue the
investigation.  As to winner or loser of the bet,
I offer two outcomes for Andreas - we could call
it a draw and move on.  Or we could just say that
I only offered up two or three examples and hence
Andreas wins.  Whatever you choose Andreas is fine with me.

Now, everyone is wished a happy holiday from
yours truly - yes, even you Mr. Campbell.

If any of you get a caning rod or a hickory
switch, it is probably because you deserved
it.  But you will also get something nice,
because most (or is it all) of you all of the
time (or is it most of the time) have done
something that should be rewarded.  So, enjoy the good with the bad.

Three holiday days ahead - I plan to count angels
dancing on the heads of pins, like most academicians this holiday season.