[Vision2020] KAYU, Time Warner, DirecTV, & DISH

Scott Dredge sdredge at yahoo.com
Thu Dec 6 10:47:23 PST 2007

I've had DirecTV for a little over 7 years and have never had a problem with it.  I can't comment on whether Replay is better than TiVo because I've never had the opportunity to use Replay.  My experience with the Dish DVR has been frustrating probably because I'm so use to the very easy to navigate TiVo menus versus the torturous to navigate Dish menus.

I have a dual LNB DirecTV satellite dish (that I paid 1 cent for) which I believe is a common configuration.  It's been many years since I read up about LNBs - so don't quote me on this - but my recollection is that the receiver generated either 13.5 Volts or 17 Volts depending on vertical / horizontal polarization required to tune to a particular signal.  Each LNB has a coax feed so my particular dish could be used by 2 receivers which each receiver controlling one LNB.  The problem with my system was that I have 6 receivers (2 for a dual tuner DirecTIVO plus 2 feeds an additional dual tuner DirecTIVO plus 1 feed for a standalone TiVo and 1 feed for a plain vanilla satellite receiver).  Thus the need to split the signal.

It's a little trickier to split the DirecTV signal than non-HD cable but it is possible.  Again I'm rusty on this, but my recollection is that the old cable signal (and off air antenna reception) operated in a frequency range of around up to 1GHz whereas DirecTV operated somewhere between 1GHz and 2GHz.  In short, I split my 2 LNBs into 8 feeds using 2 high frequency DC splitters connected to 2 multiswitches.  Just doing a quick search, now it looks like the multiswitch technology has improved considerably and there are multiswitches which take in 2 LNB feeds and output 8 receiver feeds.  The following link is just for information only (the product has been discontinued) but it's a good illustration of what these beasts look like:

http://www.smarthome.com/77928.html

I haven't yet switched to HD because DirecTV does not offer an integrated TiVO with dual tuner receiver for HD and I'm uninterested in their own crappy DVR offering.

-Scott