[Vision2020] Last Response to Atwood

pkraut at moscow.com pkraut at moscow.com
Wed Dec 5 21:41:38 PST 2007

is anyone really reading all this stuff??

> Below is my last response to Atwood. Atwood's original letter to the
editor of the Daily
News and our subsequent exchange are found here:

> http://www.dnews.com/story/opinion/25619/#comments
>
> Unfortunately, you need to have a subscription to the Daily News in
order to access this
page.

> --
> Joe Campbell
>
> ---------------------------
>
> Roy,
>
> I have a hard time reading this and believing that your call for
civility was genuine. You
seem to want people to stop criticizing Christ Church while remaining
able to play the
‘bigot’ card, suggesting that this criticism is entirely based on
religious
persecution. Your standard for civility seems to be: We can continue to
insult you but you
can say nothing about us in response.

> Previous to this recent reply you wrote: "Your responses here have been
to repeat familiar
charges, and even raise new accusations. But that's going to get us
nowhere, I believe."
Yet you do the same in this post -- repeat familiar charges against the
critics of Christ
Church and raise new allegations. How is this going to get us anywhere?
Why should others
stop if you don’t?

> One of the familiar charges is that Nick had something to do with the
comment 'Hitler
Youth' which was written in CHALK on a public SIDEWALK near NSA. Above
you claim that no
one has the right to say that offensive anonymous comments directed
toward me in this post
are the work of Christ Church members. Yet you continue to blame Nick for
the actions of
an anonymous fool. There is a double standard here.

> Also, if you allow that some column from an editor in Lewiston is
evidence that Christ
Church is the victim of religious persecution, then I can use comments by
the Southern
Poverty Law Center, and their famous "Taliban on the Palouse" article in
support of the
claim that Wilson and others in Christ Church are bigots; I can use
comments by Wilson’s
own father made in the New York Times to the effect that Christ Church
and NSA are taking
over the town; I can use sanctions levied against Christ Church by
governing church bodies
to show that Pastor Wilson is acting in a way that is un-Christian. All
of this would be
reason for the kind of boycott that you consider baseless.

> The fact is there is a lot of anger directed toward Christ Church and
plenty of reason
behind the anger. This is why there is a wide-scale boycott of Christ
Church owned
businesses. Anyone who seeks for themselves the answers to the questions
raised above that
you did not answer will realize this. Until you, Wilson, Iverson,
Courtney and others
admit your own role in creating our current situation, the problem will
not go away.

> I have no plan to talk to you in private. What I want is for you to
stop making
unsupported claims that harm my reputation and the reputations of my
friends. What I want
is for you and others to publicly admit that Christ Church is not an
innocent victim.
Unless you do so, your call for civility is a joke.

> Thanks for the ‘response,’ limited as it was, and I hope that you
enjoy the Advent
season, too!