[Vision2020] How on Earth can we live together?

Ted Moffett starbliss at gmail.com
Wed Aug 29 21:54:30 PDT 2007

http://www.tallbergforum.org

Skip intro:

http://www.tallbergforum.org/Home/tabid/75/Default.aspx

We are messing with the future. This was the clear message that came from
the Tällberg Forums in 2005 and 2006. Evidence has mounted for decades that
the exponential growth of economic activity is changing the earth's
eco-systems. The consequences already disrupt the lives of millions. It is
now clear that climate change, "perhaps the greatest and widest-ranging
market failure ever seen" (Stern Review, 2006), is a vast challenge in
itself. It is also a reminder that the ecological system and the complex
system of the global economy are less and less on speaking terms. Today,
two-thirds of the 24 most critical ecosystems upon which the human economy
is based are over-exploited (Millennium Ecosystems Assessment, UNEP/World
Resources Institute). Yet everything produced can only come from energy,
matter, water, air, soil – out of nature, our natural capital.The Tällberg
Forum event is scheduled for June 28 – July 1, 2007. It will address the
challenge of the great transition, by searching for solutions to the dilemma
of increasing welfare without destroying the natural systems that support
us.

The underlying theme of the Tällberg Forum is the systems transformation
required to mitigate and adapt to the impact of climate change and the wider
challenge of threatened ecosystems. We need to learn to think differently
about the way our economic, social, political, cultural and financial
systems function and how they fit into the natural systems. We need to
"Learn to Live to Learn". We need to change the way we act as individuals
and as leaders in our societies. The aim of the Tracks at the Tällberg Forum
this year is to allow participants an opportunity to reflect in greater
detail about what this means in more practical terms in one of nine
interrelated areas of society without losing the systems-based and
humanistic approaches.