[Vision2020] Craig's official statement

Andreas Schou ophite at gmail.com
Wed Aug 29 17:59:12 PDT 2007

> You righteously assert that "...people in positions of power have chosen in
> the past not to prosecute crimes against minorities" Specifically when, with
> regard to the current topic and in anything like recent history has anyone
> committing a crime against a homosexual gotten off precisely because of the
> victims sexual preference? Who, exactly, In a position of power has failed
> to prosecute a crime against a homosexual because of the victims
> orientation. Hate crime legislation is a solution in search of a problem
> that, as near as I can see, doesn't exist. This is not to say that I don't
> believe that there are vermin running around that would happily assault a
> homosexual for their "lifestyle." What I don't believe is that they will not
> be prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law if caught. Hate crime laws do
> not make thugs into tolerant citizens no matter how you might wish it were
> so.

Gary --

We had this go-around a couple of years ago, and without dragging the
information back out of the "greatest hits" file, I might remind you
now, as I did back then, that we *currently* look at the motivation of
someone who commits a homicide (or an assault). That's the difference
between murder (of various sorts) and manslaughter, and one potential
difference between assault and its aggravated sibling.

People who have a tendency to commit crimes against others based on
bizarre categorical beliefs about "their type" are categorically more
dangerous than people with explicable "reasons," as screwed up as they
may be, to commit crimes.

-- ACS

Committing crimes against someone just because of some bizarre categorical belie