[Vision2020] music and books

Dan Carscallen areaman at moscow.com
Tue Aug 28 07:15:49 PDT 2007

Just for giggles:

Music:

1.  Wolfmother.  From Australia. They just plain ROCK.  Just queue up
"Woman" or "The Joker and the Theif", crank it up, and rip the knob off.
2.  You always gotta put Steve Miller into the rotation.  "Swingtown" is
just plain fun.
3.  Never forget ZZ Top.  The little ol' band from Texas is still on the
radar, and I'll sing along to "Somebody Else Been Shakin' Your Tree"
from the First Album at the top of my lungs.
4.  I'm with Bruce on Sly and the Family Stone, but when you really need
the funk, you gotta go Parliament/Funkadelic.
5.  If I'm gonna spend eighteen and a half minutes with Arlo and the
"Alice's Restaurant Masacree", I gotta put in fourteen and a quarter
with Peter Frampton and "Do You Feel Like We Do?"

Books:

1.  Yeah, I read the Harry Potter too.  The ending worked for me.
2.  Spending a lot of time going back through my personal library:
Larry Niven's "Ringworld" and Arthur C. Clarke's "Childhood's End", plus
Stephen King's "Black House" right at the moment.

Recent discoveries:

1.  Miller Chill.  Pretty dang nice on a hot day, don't know if I'd call
it "bliss in a bottle" yet, though.
2.  The Latah County Historical Society's Ice Cream Social.  I did
standby with the ambulance, but we had plenty of time to get our ice
cream and watermelon, and the kids had a blast.  I'm kicking myself for
not going all these years!
3.  Dr. Rush's "Thunderclappers".  It's fun when your kids take an
interest in history, and you learn a little more about the things you
thought you knew about from school.  I'm not sure what everyone else
knows about the Corps of Discovery, but Dr. Rush's pills are one of the
things that always makes me chuckle.  From wikipedia, describing the
pills: "Though their efficacy is questionable, their high mercury
content [50%] provided an excellent tracer by which archaeologists have
been able to track the corps' actual route to the Pacific"

On a side note, at the Ice Cream Social, there was a fellow from
Lewiston who played the part of a pharmacist from the Corps' period.  He
said that someone took it upon themselves to actually test out a
Thunderclapper.

It was effective within ten minutes!

DC