[Vision2020] Craig's official statement

Tom Hansen thansen at moscow.com
Tue Aug 28 05:41:17 PDT 2007

Paul Rumelhart stated:

"Being guilty and pleading guilty can be two different things."

In my opinion, a person pleads guilty because (s)he IS guilty.

Mr. Rumelhart goes on to say:

"Some people do strange things when embarrassed, tired, or feel like they
are being harassed.  Things that they might regret when it's time to pay
the piper."

I reiterate . . . Senator Craig was arrested on June 11th and plead guilty
August 8th (TWO MONTHS LATER).  Are you suggesting that Senator Craig felt
he was being harassed for two months before he entered a guilty plea?  Come
on!  Senator Craig is an attorney himself.  He realized that, for two
months, his arrest was hush-hush, possibly as a result of communications
between his office and the Minneapolis prosecutor's office.  I suspect that
he worked out a deal where if he pleads guilty, the sentence will be no more
than a 500-dollar fine - no jail (that's where sex offenders go, you know).

And more from Paul Rumelhart:

"Besides, if you are a Senator and you are innocent . . . "

Let me finish this thought:  If you are a senator (in the public eye 24/7)
and you are innocent, YOU DON'T PLEAD GUILTY TO THE CRIME!

I now return you to your naiveté.

Seeya round town, Moscow.

"People who ridicule others while hiding behind anonymous monikers in
chat-room forums are neither brave nor clever."

- Latah County Sheriff Wayne Rausch (August 21, 2007)