[Vision2020] (Hillary is a Shoe In) speaking of politics....

Donovan Arnold donovanjarnold2005 at yahoo.com
Sat Aug 25 13:55:46 PDT 2007

Except in extreme cases, voter turnout doesn't really change the election results. In our presidential election, only about 8 states are swing states, and of those it doesn't really matter if both Ohio and Florida swing the same way.

  Political studies have shown that turnout rarely impacts outcome of an election.

  You can rig elections with voter machines. However, it would have to be a close race in the first place for nobody not to notice. Anything more than a 1.5% change and it would be detected. You would have to spread the numbers out so each district was bumped up a tiny amount per precinct.

  If political parities would change things so that the numbers were not so close, say trying to win by 5-10 points instead of .005%, Diebolt and other vote changers could not be so powerful.

  I also don't think voter turnout is that low. If we have 300 million people, count out 125 million for being illegal aliens, criminals, under age, and mental or physically unable, we have only about 175 million people that can vote. Of the 175 million that can, nearly 100 million do register and vote. That is about 57% percent of the population voting regularly in elections where their vote really doesn't count. But people also misunderstand, that it isn't 57% voting and 43% not. It is more like 25% never voting and 75% vote, but not all the time. Some people only vote in Presidential elections, some only vote in local elections, some only vote for a person they know, or really feel passionate about, some vote but only when it is convenient for them to do so. But I think, about 75% of people that can vote, do vote, at some point.

  25% of the population realizes though, that your vote, out 100 million doesn't really matter in a presidential election, so why wait three hours in line to vote, and burn $20 in gas and other expenses to cast it? Votes matter when the political leaders mess up really bad and the general population is persuaded to oust the sitting regime, that is gist of Democracy, voter turnout has little impact, generally speaking.

  Best,

  Donovan

Sunil Ramalingam <sunilramalingam at hotmail.com> wrote:
  Paul,

If you read Greg Palast on the issue of vote suppression, you may be asking
"How many votes will be counted?" instead.

Sunil

List services made available by First Step Internet,
mailto:Vision2020 at moscow.com