[Vision2020] The Conditions of Patraeus' Iraq Report (Bob Schieffer)

Tom Hansen thansen at moscow.com
Sun Aug 19 09:03:48 PDT 2007

>From Bob Schieffer's closing commentary on today's (August 19, 2007) episode
of "Face the Nation" -

"And, suddenly we're told the general won't actually write the report but
that his thoughts will be incorporated in a summary prepared by the White
House."

The Conditions Of Petraeus' Iraq Report
By Bob Schieffer

Sixteen years on Face The Nation has taught me one thing: When I ask a
question and guests start laying out conditions such as "first let me tell
you," or "the real questions is," or "it is important to put that in
context," I know we're headed down the old rabbit trail that will take us
anywhere but to a straight answer.

When people want to answer, they do so quickly, directly and clearly. When
they don't we get all those conditions and lectures about the importance of
context.

So excuse me for getting a little suspicious after hearing the White House
is proposing some new conditions on the delivery of General Petraeus'
long-awaited report on progress in Iraq - conditions such as the White House
wanting the general to deliver the report to Congress behind closed doors
while cabinet officers do the talking in public.

And, suddenly we're told the general won't actually write the report but
that his thoughts will be incorporated in a summary prepared by the White
House.

Mind you, this is the report the president has said over and over that he
will use to decide where we go from here in Iraq.

Over and over, we've been told not to rush to judgment until we hear from
the general.

Now we're hearing all these new conditions.

Maybe it's because I've been dragged down the old rabbit trail too many
times by too many people with something to hide, but this doesn't sound like
we're headed to a straight answer.

No, this sounds like anything but. And that is a real shame.

Seeya round town, Moscow.

"In America, anybody can become president.
That's one of the risks you take . . ."

- Adlai Stevenson