[Vision2020] Only Christians Need Apply???

Saundra Lund sslund at roadrunner.com
Tue Aug 14 17:40:56 PDT 2007

Hi Tom & Visionaries:

Well, AFAIK, these openings probably appeared in all the usual places, so if
no one has heard about them as you indicate, maybe it's because they haven't
been looking or haven't known where to look?

The openings are listed at the County Web site:
http://www.latah.id.us/Employment/
The openings are likely posted at the courthouse and perhaps at the
Sheriff's Department as well.

I'm pretty sure I've also seen the positions advertised in the Daily News.
OK, I looked online, and I was right -- I didn't scour all the listings, but
I found two.
This is for a Dispatcher:
http://www.nwmarket.com/index.php?cmd=search&action=page&current_page=10
And, here's one for a Patrol Deputy:
http://www.nwmarket.com/index.php?cmd=search&action=page&current_page=11

Please note the dates of the ads:  8/2/2007, which was well before
Nieuwsma's attempt to recruit "Christian men" for the LCSO positions.

IIRC, the County used to list job openings with the Job Service back in the
Dark Ages, but I don't know if they still utilize that resource.

For positions like these, the openings might also have been advertised in
law enforcement professional publications or other professional venues, and
there are lots of general online recruitment services the County might be
utilizing -- I really have no idea.

And, while it's not an ad per se, folks like me who read the article learned
that there are openings:

Deputies decry sagging pay scale
Sheriff's office salaries fall far short of those at MPD, area's other law
enforcement agencies
By Devin Rokyta, Daily News staff writer
Thursday, August 9, 2007 - Page Updated at 12:00:00 AM

"Lt. Jim Lloyd, who is in charge of the county jail, said three officers
recently left for pay-related reasons and he knows of three other officers
actively looking at other employment opportunities.

Lloyd said he already has formed three hiring pools that have yielded few
quality candidates. Those who were qualified have rejected the job because
of the low pay."

In any case, the job openings ***haven't*** been kept secret or anything
like that.

According to the newspaper article, low pay makes recruitment of quality
candidates challenging, which is a familiar refrain we here from employers
seeking to hire professionals in this area.  The standard "trading pay for a
higher quality of life" refrain is all well and good up to a point, but it
sure doesn't put food on the table or offset deputies having to purchase
basic equipment with their own money, which further decreases their pay.

JMHO,
Saundra Lund
Moscow, ID

nothing.
- Edmund Burke

***** Original material contained herein is Copyright 2007 through life plus
70 years, Saundra Lund.  Do not copy, forward, excerpt, or reproduce outside
author.*****