[Vision2020] The Kirk Cathedral: The Architectural Plans

Chris Storhok cstorhok at co.fairbanks.ak.us
Tue Aug 14 10:33:32 PDT 2007

Nice building, shoot that will really spruce up the south end of
downtown.  I always thought that spot would be a great location for an
ice rink/coliseum but a cathedral of this style would really transform
the neighborhood.   I love the look of the design; it really does mesh
well with nearby UI architecture, the entire Olmsted design, (although I
think his design had an athletic facility where this future cathedral
will go) as well as the brick look of Gritman and downtown.  The
building itself will long outlive Christ Church and the Wilsons, why not
get an architectural gem out of the deal that transforms the former
rail-yard into a signature piece?

As for parking, I thought the whole concept of smart growth was to force
people to walk and thus abandon their politically incorrect CO2 emitting
transportation devices.  Seriously, why encourage people to drive by
building overly large parking lots that may be used twice a week?
There is plenty of parking within a five block radius of the proposed
structure.  I really believe that the City of Moscow ought to revisit
their parking requirements for downtown.  Instead Moscow should focus on
changing transportation habits; perhaps develop a downtown trolley
system, or encourage taxis, or more bike lanes.  Anything but more
adding more ugly parking lots, the era of using a car for what should
have been a healthy walk is coming to an end.

Chris Storhok