[Vision2020] Trinity Festival protest

Andreas Schou ophite at gmail.com
Sun Aug 12 15:09:37 PDT 2007

On 8/12/07, g. crabtree <jampot at roadrunner.com> wrote:

> Mr. Schou,
> Considering your penchant for overblown rhetoric and fudging the facts on
> this topic you will have to forgive me if I do not accept your every
> utterance as though it were revealed truth.
>
> Your "long" post seems to be equal parts guilt by association, accusations
> of past ill considered remarks with no reference, citation, or context, and
> your own unique spin as applied to the purported statements of others.
> Hardly the sort of thing that is going to do a more effective job of
> convincing me of the imminent harm that will befall our community from the
> dread CC than the "thousands" of other rants you have gone off on before.

First of all, Gary, I wasn't aware that we were engaging in an
academic debate. Would you at least indicate which quotes you believe
I fabricated? Or perhaps one of the Christ Church hangers-on that lurk
on Vision 2020 might correct me?

Anyone?

Anyone?

No?

Then I guess I have to go ahead and answer your charges, which
alternate between slamming your palms down over your ears and shouting
'nuh-uh!' at the top of your lungs and casting vague aspersions about
my character, honesty, etc, and then refusing to say anything specific
when pressed.

So. Let's start with Grant and Wilkins. I suppose that, under most
normal circumstances, the fact that he spends a great deal of time
with Grant and Wilkins (and Sandlin), preaches with them, conducts
seminars together, would merely be disquieting and not necessarily
probative evidence of anything in particular. I'll remind you of two
things, though: first, that what was being protested was Trinity Fest,
at which Wilkins was a featured presenter, and, second, there have
never been any protests at anything other than Trinity Fest and its
antecedent, the "History Conference"

It's not the case, however, that Doug is only responsible for the
behavior of his co-religionists when he presents with them. Doug is
founder and moderator of the CREC, as well as the originator (with
Steve Wilkins) of the sacertotalist variety of Presbyterianism --
called "Auburn Avenue" or "Federal Vision" theology -- to which they
all adhere. It would be a curious thing indeed if Doug disagreed so
fervently on a topic that is of such importance with his
co-religionists, given that he, in fact, exercises a great deal of
authority  over them.

As for "context," I can do one thing: cut out paragraphs, as fairly as
possible, that express the relevant view. I cannot reprint books for
you, Gary. I would repeat my recommendation that you read them for
yourself, as well as my recommendation that you do your best to avoid
paying for reading them.

I'll repeat, if it'll turn your straw man back into a haystack, that I
don't believe Christ Church is of any "imminent harm" to anyone other
than women and homosexuals who have the misfortune to be born to its
members, as well as those who choose to leave their "movement." They
are not, at the moment, lurking under liberals' beds, waiting to jump
out and burn us all at the stake. But i "imminent harm" is the
standard required to merely disagree (loudly, publicly) with someone's
political beliefs, you had best stop responding to this thread, as I
daresay I'm not in any danger of causing "imminent harm" to anyone.

-- ACS