[Vision2020] Trinity Festival protest

pkraut at moscow.com pkraut at moscow.com
Thu Aug 9 19:40:20 PDT 2007

Ignorant people will always think as they will and we can do little to
change them. There are those who won't go to Seattle because it rains 'all
the time' and so miss a lot of the greatness of the northwest. I knew of
some who wouldn't/won't go to CDA because of the Aryans even tho those who
live there do not see them around except at special meetings. My feeling
is it is no loss to the most of us if they want to believe a headline in a
news anything. It is much like the stupid person who told someone moving
to CDA that there are lots of rattlesnakes on Tubbs Hill. What?? Of course
there are some on this list and in other places who carry on the
misleading stuff but ya gotta trust your source.

> Hi Again Paul,
>
> Thanks for continuing the discussion, and I apologize for my delay in
> responding.  It's summer  :-)
>
> I'd like to clarify, if I might, that my comments were more of a general
> nature than addressing the specific Trinity Fest protest, about which I
> really didn't know much at all:  I don't know who organized it, although
> certainly agree with the ideas expressed in the flyer Rose quoted on her
> blog; and I don’t know who participated or why the night of 8/3 was
chosen.

> Now that I've gotten that out of the way . . .
>
> I guess I look at things differently than you seem to:  I *do* think this
> community needs to stand strong against the lunacy of the Christ Church
> hierarchy and their worldview, including how they want to remake our
local
> community.
>
> While Christ Church may be happy about the image of our community they've
> managed to create, it's not an illusion that's appreciated by much of the
> community, and by much of the rest of the country.  Indeed, I think the
> illusion is worse than simply not positive -- it's actually harmful for
this
> community.  Good people express hesitation about moving themselves -- and
> their families -- here for jobs or to start businesses because Christ
Church
> has made this community look like one where racism, sexism, homophobia,
> religious intolerance, and a whole host of other evils are "accepted" by
the
> community.
>
> Regardless of how "silly" anyone thinks it, we have credible reports from
> unbiased WSU faculty that some students are afraid to come to Moscow
because
> of the carefully cultivated image Christ Church has propagated about
Moscow.

> I personally have talked to potential UI students who opted not to come
here
> because of the Christ Church image problem.
>
> And, I know a wide variety of people who are less comfortable living here
> since the Kirk's agenda to control the community has become apparent in
> spite of the attempted double-speak by those in the Kirk.
>
> In part, you wrote:
> "I would be condemned to death if their biblical society ever came to be
> because of my past studying of the occult and because I'm not a
professing
> Christian.  Yet, they aren't pushing for laws to do that."
>
> Again, I guess we have different thresholds.  I see that they *do* push
for
> laws to make this community, this state, and this nation conform to their
> worldview.  They were outraged by a silly top-free carwash a few years
back,
> so they threatened and protested and coerced our elected officials to get
> female breasts criminalized here.  In the process, Moscow, Idaho made
> national (and international) news as a laughingstock.  A lot of time,
> energy, and money was expended by local government to placate the Kirk
and
> their threats, and as a result, one of the most restrictive -- and likely
> unconstitutional -- laws in the nation was put on our local books in
2002,
> helped in no small part by their stealth council member.  AFAIK, the law
has
> yet to be enforced in spite of the fact that virtually every day this
> summer, and most days the rest of the year, I've seen clear violations of
> the ordinance.  Yeah, Moscow, is sooo much safer since the Kirk forced
that
> law through, isn't it?  That was a *great* use of scarce resources just
> appease a very small but vocal minority.  You can blame the City
officials
> if you want (there's plenty of blame to go around, something I hope
people
> won't forget with the upcoming elections and some of the names we're
likely
> to see as candidates), but the blame also rightly belongs with those who
got
> their shorts in a twist and organized to force the rest of us to kowtow
> their desires:  the Kirk.
>
> They actively supported of Prop. 1 in 1994, which failed.  They actively
> supported the Anti-Marriage Amendment last year, which passed.  They've
run
> local stealth candidates, some of whom won, some of whom lost.  They --
and
> their children -- have picketed local businesses and filed criminal and
> zoning complaints and boycotted businesses with which they disagree.
Please
> note:  these ***actions*** were *not* those only of the hierarchy but
also
> by "regular" Kirk members and their children.
>
> With all due respect, Paul, I think you are making a mistake the Kirk
> depends on the uninformed tolerant amongst us making:  you fail to take
> their stated objectives at face value.  According to the Kirk, things
like
> feminism, abortion, and homosexuality are clear symptoms (or perhaps
causes)
> of the moral decay in our community, and in our nation, and as Jesus'
> soldiers, they have a duty to rid our community of those "evils" using
any
> and all methods -- no matter how dishonest and/or despicable -- at their
> disposal.  If that means lying to civil authorities, so be it.  This
> ***isn't*** belief we're talking about, these are concrete actions and
> concrete attacks on our community.
>
> I don't know if you've ever been pointed in this direction before, but in
> case you've not, I recommend you take a bit of time to read Jim Wilson's
> _Principles of War A Handbook on Strategic Evangelism_.  Luckily, it's
> freely available online and is a very quick read:
> http://www.ccmbooks.org/onlinebooks/pow/index.htm
>
> Then please think about what you read in light of Doug Wilson's comments
> from the pulpit on 12-28-2003:
>
> "In the 60s my father wrote a small but enormously influential book
called
> The Principles of War.  In it he applied the principle of physical
warfare
> to what he calls strategic evangelism.  This idea of warfare is
necessary in
> order to understand a central part of what is happening here, and by
this I
> mean the concept of the decisive point.  A decisive point is one which is
> simultaneously strategic and feasible.  Strategic means that it would be
> significant loss to the enemy if taken.  Feasible means that it’s
possible
> to take.  New York City is strategic but not feasible; Bovil is feasible
but
> not strategic.  But small towns with major universities, Moscow and
Pullman,
> say, are both.  Now, this explains why the conflict is here.”
>
> The Kirk -- not this community -- started the conflict *here* and
continues
> the conflict *here.*  They rely on our genuine tolerance -- and our
inertia
> -- to allow them remake this community into what *they* want.
>
> You also wrote:
> "Now, as has been pointed out to me, if people have protested the
officials
> in Moscow that appeared to allow the rules to be bent or broken and
nothing
> has come of it - then what do you do?  I say, whatever you do, leave the
> individual Christ Church members alone unless you are talking about the
guys
> that make the decisions there.  Take up your fight, again, with the
powers
> that be in Moscow.  Talk to the press (again)."
>
> Quite frankly, I had a lot more sympathy for the rank-and-file members of
> the Kirk until they actively became a part of the Conspiracy of Silence.
> Since then, my respect for their autonomy requires that I hold them
> accountable as well.
>
> I want to clarify that it's not just *Moscow* city officials who've
allowed
> the Kirk hierarchy to get away with their shenanigans.  I find it
hilarious
> -- but also sad -- what skids can be greased with a the gift of a bottle
of
> wine or two or three coupled by a wolf in sheep's clothing saying "We're
> local Christians -- we'd never do you wrong."
>
> What to do?  Well, one thing is to NOT sit by an allow the shenanigans to
> continue.  People need to speak up loudly and often and in a variety of
> venues . . . including the Trinity Fest if they so wish.
>
> Elected officials are one matter.  Clearly we've got too many of them who
> were never taught, "Fool me once, shame on you; fool me twice, shame on
> *me*."  Personally, I think it will be interesting to watch how the
Moscow
> [...]
> blinded by the empty assurances of "developers.".
>
> However, staff present a whole other challenge.  They have no direct
> accountability to citizens, so we can't vote them out when we see them
being
> snookered -- or worse -- time and again by those "nice Christ Church
> people."  For some, I really think it incomprehensible to them that they
are
> dealing with bald-faced liars who will stoop to any level imaginable to
> manipulate staff to get the Kirk's way.
>
> So, you chose to not protest the Trinity Fest, and that's your
prerogative.
> But, really, it's offensive to me and rather presumptuous of you to
chastise
> others for exercising their legitimate First Amendment rights just
because
> you aren't moved at this moment to do so.
>
> Was this sad little performance at the Kenworthy a right time to protest
the
> Kirk's desire to remake Moscow?  I didn't think so, but it's not up to
me --
> or to you -- to determine when and where others can speak out about what
> they find repugnant and dangerous.
>
> I was happy to hear that Mikey's Gyros apparently offered a free showing
of
> Michael Hayes' documentary _My Town_ during Trinity Fest  :-)
>
> Sorry this went on for so long, but I do appreciate the dialogue.  I
> sometimes wonder, though, what it's going to take to wake people up?  I
> personally am not willing to wait until  "they ever start trying to pass
> laws that state that heathens or gays or adulterers should be executed,"
as
> you seem to suggest, to register my STRONG objection to their stated
desires
> and definite actions to remake this community to suit their worldview.
> While some people laugh at the notion, I surely don't want anything like
> what happened in Antelope-Rajneesh-Antelope, OR to happen here.  No, it's
> much better, IMHO, to fight the evil before it becomes law and for this
> community to make it CLEAR that we will not allow our community to be
> morphed to reflect their decidedly ungodly worldview.
>
> Actions may speak louder than words, and in the case of the Kirk, we have
> plenty of both from its hierarchy to see what their real agenda is.
>

> JMHO,
> Saundra Lund
> Moscow, ID
>
> The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good people to do
> nothing.
> - Edmund Burke
>
> ***** Original material contained herein is Copyright 2007 through life
plus
> 70 years, Saundra Lund.  Do not copy, forward, excerpt, or reproduce
outside
> the Vision 2020 forum without the express written permission of the

Kirk's . .
> .. theology.  I don't believe in forced salvation (if they can't win us
over
> by conversion, then they want the teeth of the law to force the rest of
us
> to act/behave as they think we ought to behave), and it really disturbs
me
> the way God's word has been perverted by Kirk hierarchy.
>

> 	However, IMHO, of larger concern is the Kirk hierarchy’s refusal
> follow the "secular" rules and laws the rest of us are expected to
follow.
> The rules are for others, not for them.  Lying under oath -- no problem.
> Lying to government officials -- again, no problem.  Thumbing their
noses at
> planning and zoning regulations -- absolutely no problem.  Failing to
live
> up to the very limited requirements of tax exemption – they excel at
that.
> Parking where they have no right -- no problem.  Withholding information
> vital to the safety of our community’s children – absolutely no problem.
> And on and on and on the list goes.  In essence, while there are
wonderful
> individual Kirk members, Christ Church itself has proven time and again
that
> it is the quintessential Bad Neighbor.
>

> 	My dear friend Rose Huskey blogged on this very topic recently --
> you might want to read what she had to say:
>
> 	http://cleaning-house.org/?p=591
>

> 	I'm sure she won't mind if I repost here:
>
> 	"Nests of Pests
>

> 	Temperatures in Moscow hover in the 90’s during the dog days of
> August but that’s not why many community members are boiling. For the
past
> three years we have endured the civic embarrassment generated by the
> pseudo-Ceilidh, pseudo-Calvinistic jamboree known as the Trinity Fest.
> Members of the Confederation of Reformed Evangelicals aka CREC, view
Moscow
> as their Rome, Jerusalem, Mecca, and Ganges River. They gather in August
> sit at the knee of Massa Doug Wilson, (the brains behind the beards)
> greedily ingesting the racist, sexist, homophobic preaching disgorged
from
> his pie hole. It has been my habit to refrain from going to town during
the
> week that Doug attempts to claim Moscow as his papal seat. However, this
> year I will join with friends to acquaint (or reacquaint as the case may
be)
> CREC visitors and Kirk members with long-standing community values.
Flyers
> have been posted throughout downtown Moscow and in the windows of
supportive
> businesses asking folks to:
>

> 	[T]ake a stand for traditional American values of tolerance and
> diversity as we gather to voice our collective community opposition to
the
> racist, sexist, homophobic agenda of Christ Church, New St. Andrews
College,
> The Confederation of Reformed Evangelical Churches and the Association of
> Classical and Christian Schools.
>

> 	Uninformed readers might (mistakenly) believe that it is, at
best,
> ironic to take a stand for tolerance and diversity while simultaneously
> opposing a “religious” celebration. The following analogy might help to
> clarify my position. Suppose you wake up one fine morning and notice -
in a
> dark corner of your closet - a sweet little nest of spiders. On the whole
> you like spiders (Charlotte’s Web was your favorite childhood book), so
you
> adopt a live and let live attitude toward the little critters. Five or
six
> days later you have an opportunity to take a closer look at mama spider.
She