[Vision2020] surplus

Shirley Ringo ringoshirl at moscow.com
Thu Aug 9 14:11:37 PDT 2007

Visionaries:

This is my response to Tom Ivie.  It is a shortened version.  I am looking
at many options in the areas of corrections, early childhood, corrections,
education, healthcare, etc.  I am most interested in suggestions.  Thanks to
Tom Ivie for raising the question.

Shirley

Tom:

First, we need to get a handle on the revenue picture – how much of that can
be predicted to be ongoing.

State officials have low-balled revenue projections in past years – this
makes it very difficult to build programs that can be sustained because we
pretend the money isn’t there.

However, Steve Cook (ag econ, U of I) is cautious at this time.  He is
concerned that we are approaching a downturn in the economy.

With that in mind, there are opportunities.  I and others are studying them
at this time to see what important programs might be sustained.  Early
childcare, substance abuse, mental health, etc.  These programs can reduce
pressure on growth of corrections expenditures in the future.

I think we need to resist tax give-backs which will tie our hands.  This
type of action caused chaos in the form of holdbacks when legislators
short-sightedly coupled tax cuts with a downturn in the economy in
2001-2002.

Shirley

Checked by AVG Free Edition.
2:44 PM