[Vision2020] Idaho budget surplus

Tom Ivie the_ivies3 at yahoo.com
Thu Aug 9 12:11:23 PDT 2007

Donovan,
I did say "may" and I am an optimist by nature

The question remains the same:
What should our legislators do with a $247 million surplus?

So far we have
-repair roads (I suggest finishing some that if they were in southern Idaho would have been finished by now)
-tax rebate/lower tax rate
-early child learning
-mental health
-substance abuse
-schools
-Highway Districts

While the thought of rebates is tempting, what about economic downturns and saving for a rainy day?  Revenue projections have been wrong before and ended up short handed -what then? Raise taxes?

Donovan Arnold <donovanjarnold2005 at yahoo.com> wrote: Tom Ivie wrote,

  "For discussion, and because OUR legislators  read vision2020, as well as the fact that some of them may value our input and ideas,"

  Do you have any evidence of these unbelievable claims that our legislatures are literate and care about their constituents input?

  Best,

  Donovan

Tom Ivie <the_ivies3 at yahoo.com> wrote:
  For discussion, and because OUR legislators read vision2020, as well as the fact that some of them may value our input and ideas, I pose this question:

What should the State do with the $247 million general fund budget surplus?

$247 million was the figure released by the state Controller, Donna Jones, on July 16th. She stated that while "corporate income tax collections were down, strong individual income tax collections contributed to this year's larger than expected surplus."

Tom & Liz Ivie

Tom & Liz Ivie