[Vision2020] Trinity Festival protest

Ted Moffett starbliss at gmail.com
Wed Aug 8 21:29:53 PDT 2007

Paul wrote:

If you believe that people have the right to free expression, then you
can't throw that out the first time you run across a group that differs
in their views from you.  I don't think that we should be organizing
protests based solely on the beliefs of a group of people.  Specific
actions that affect us, yes, but not simply because they don't believe
as we do.
--------------
Expressing a belief in public is an action.  If I yell loudly in a crowded
theatre (I love this old worn out example!) "I believe the theatre is on
fire!" this belief as expressed can have powerful effects.  If prominent
members of a church publicly insist that same sex couples are committing
grave sins that deserve punishment, this also can have powerful effects (I
know Gay individuals in this community who have told me face to face that
they feel threatened), even if the laws governing sexual behavior are not
changed.

Who is saying anyone can't express whatever beliefs they want?  The
objections and protests are expressing disagreement.  I want "Southern
Slavery, As It Was" in every library.  So it can be understood for what it
is.

Now as I write that I believe women should be able to pursue any profession
they wish and can qualify for, I am taking action.  And furthermore, first
amendment constitutional protections cover my right to take action in
speech, when I publicly state I do not agree with those who take the action
of expressing in public the belief that women should not be able to pursue
all professions they wish and are qualified for.

Ted Moffett