[Vision2020] Trinity Festival protest

Donovan Arnold donovanjarnold2005 at yahoo.com
Tue Aug 7 23:08:00 PDT 2007

Paul,

  We have modern day slavery today in the United States. It goes by the name of illegal immigration. Many people are all for it and promote the second class citizenship of these people and even boast the economic benefits by allowing this people into the country to live on wages that create essentially slaves for the production of goods by wealthy corporations.

  If slavery was kept legal and involved to slightly improve their living conditions over the years between 1864 and to today it would look exactly like it does today, only the slaves today are Hispanic, not Black.

  Best,

  Donovan

Paul Rumelhart <godshatter at yahoo.com> wrote:
  I just think it's the actions you have to protest, and not the beliefs.
In this case, the action that some feel the need to protest appears to
be the buying of a parcel of land in the downtown area that will be used
to build a church. So, the logical people to protest that decision to
would be the people who made the decision, not the followers of the
church (99% of which had nothing to do with it).

Members of Christ Church have every right to believe what they do about
slavery, the role of women, and the status of gays. They have every
right to promote those beliefs either by discussing them directly or
indirectly through the medium of artistic expression. It's not like
they are the first Christian religious group to come up with the idea
that women are not equal to men or that homosexuality is an
abomination. I don't know where the slavery thing comes from, but it's
no farther out in left field than other beliefs I've run across.

If you believe that people have the right to free expression, then you
can't throw that out the first time you run across a group that differs
in their views from you. I don't think that we should be organizing
protests based solely on the beliefs of a group of people. Specific
actions that affect us, yes, but not simply because they don't believe
as we do.

That being said, of course those that disagree have the right to speak
up about it. I just don't agree with that tactic.

Now, if they try to pass a law that no women can hold office in Moscow
or that crimes committed by homosexuals carry double the normal penalty
or something, then I'll be right there with you trying to stop it.

Paul

Ted Moffett wrote:

> Joe, Paul et. al.
>
> I'm not very certain that art produced by an organization that
> advocates a, how should I phrase it, authoritarian ideology that
> promotes second class citizen status for women and Gay individuals, at
> best, should be viewed as harmless fun, or a less harmful diversion
> from their other activities to expand their ideology and power. Art
> has often been used by significant authoritarian ideologies to
> proselytize and promote their agenda. Art can be a very effective
> tool for this purpose. If the promotion of Christ Church's power in
> Moscow deserves protest, then I am not certain why (except perhaps
> relating to the psychology of the most effective tactics of changing
> public opinion) protesting an art event should be any less of a target
> than protesting several of the other activities associated with the
> Trinity Festival. Of course this depends on how protest is conducted,
> as always.
>
> Even if the play appears harmless from the point of view of any of the
> objectionable themes (slavery, women and Gay rights) that have raised
> the ire of many, it may still be a very effective public relations
> tool to promote the power and acceptance of this church in the
> community. Of course a protest aimed at this play might back fire due
> to being viewed as going too far, creating sympathy for Christ
> Church. Indeed, it appears that painting those who oppose Christ
> Church as unreasonable activists who are unfairly singling out this
> church for criticism is an effective tactic to encourage sympathy.
> Any protest regarding Christ Church might back fire in this manner.
>
> I'm writing in these comments from a realistic point of view regarding
> the politics, the tactics of manipulating public opinion and promoting
> an organization's power and influence, or trying to lessen the power
> of an organization via activism and protest. To make an admittedly
> hyperbolic and worn out comparison, if the Nazi party in Germany in
> 1935 was staging a harmless comedy to promote the public acceptance
> and image of their party, would it be reasonable to view this as a
> innocent art oriented event?
>
> Regarding Spinoza, I once posted info on Spinoza to Vision2020, back
> when many Christ Church members posted with their real names with
> regularity. The response by some Christ Church members to the
> philosophical and theological views of Spinoza, a philosopher I have
> enjoyed reading who I think makes some excellent arguments, was not
> very sympathetic. I won't go into the details, but Spinoza's approach
> to theology and philosophy I am certain contradicts the theological
> views of Christ Church's "intelligentsia." I would therefore be
> surprised if, given there is any attempt to present Spinoza's
> philosophy in detail, that he would receive a fair and accurate
> portrayal.
>
> Ted Moffett
>

> On 8/3/07, *Joe Campbell* > > wrote:

> [...]

List services made available by First Step Internet,