[Vision2020] Vandal football article for those inclined

Carl Westberg carlwestberg846 at hotmail.com
Tue Aug 7 09:02:24 PDT 2007

>From the Twin Falls Times-News:  Akey applauds Vandals' efforts at camp
By Grant Joki
Times-News correspondent
MOSCOW - First-year Idaho head coach Robb Akey was his usual animated self
on the opening day of fall camp, a trait that the former Washington State
University defensive coordinator does not shy away from. The fourth Vandal
head coach in five years worked on the fly, moving from one position group
to another and was vocal in his presence, letting players and assistants
know that his style is hands-on, enthusiastic and visible.

It was contagious as assistants instructed with high passion and a sense of
urgency. The veterans could be seen taking up Akey's charge and helping the
large contingent of new comers with one-on-one tutoring. Akey likes the
"positive activism" displayed by his staff and players.

"Heck yes. I am not going to change my style. That can't change," said Akey
when asked if he would continue his intense energy known throughout the
Pac-10. "The intensity will always be there. That's the only way I know how
to do it. If I'm going to ask them to play a thousand miles an hour, flying
around, they need to get the same thing from me."

Don't be surprised if you witness many of his patented vertical leaps with
legs tucked this season. And his Vandals are responding to his high octane.
They certainly have the youth to latch onto this style. Nineteen true
freshmen and a smattering of junior college transfers saw an addition of
about 26 invited walk-ons add to the anemic 73 scholarship total, 12 short
of the 85 maximum for the D-1 level. Akey removed over a dozen players
deemed detrimental to the program after spring ball, a move applauded by
many in the community.

"The nice part about the early part of camp you can see guys play positions
and see what they're doing, so they're going to get opportunities," added
Akey. "We'll have some cross-over time in this camp to see how many roles a
guy can play for us. Our walk-ons are going to very important."

Opening day was broken into a very short, but brisk pace of team
conditioning in the cool morning temperature that was aided by a westerly
breeze. The near 100 short- and jersey-clad Vandals ran timed sprints by
position and seniority with shouts and clapping pushing those grimacing in
pain to quicken their stride.

Akey and staff are counting on their 15 seniors to set the tone for team
building, leadership and conditioning. By the end of the afternoon session
it was the seniors who answered the call.

"They've taken it to heart. The goal of building a better team and family,"
said a satisfied Akey. "Our vets are teaching the new guys."

Said senior Ben Alexander: "I think by far this is the best year for
conditioning. We had a lot of people here the whole summer. The guys that
ran the test (the morning session) did real good. Akey did a good job of
bringing us together, as like more of a family."

Captains David Vobora, a senior linebacker, and Adam Korby, a junior center,
are sold on the new staff and Akey's fast paced style.

"Being part of the hiring process with (athletic director) Rob Spear and
talking to a lot of different coaches, this guy won it hands down. You talk
to anyone who played for him or coached with him, they had nothing but good
things (to say). The staff he brought along, they have the energy and
enthusiasm that this team needs. They're taking the right steps and are
taking the right direction," said Vobora.

Both seasoned vets, Vobora and Alexander, expressed excitement at playing
the 3-4 defensive schemes being implemented by Akey's defensive coordinator
Mark Criner.

"I love it. I feel I am a lot more involved with the defense. I am now up
more, paying attention to the coverage," said Alexander who was more a down
defensive lineman in the past years.

One of Idaho's few sources of experience is the corps of senior inside
linebackers: Brandon Ogletree, Jo Artis Ratti and David Vobora. Vobora. Who
was the Western Athletic Conference's leader in total and solo tackles, said
of the 3-4 scheme, "Tree, Jo and I have that chemistry. The defense is
starting to mesh and carry a savvy about them and I think that will carry
over on the Saturdays. We are going to use our speed and our quickness to
our advantage in the 3-4 and move around and give some guys hits."

Criner likes the smarts of his returning linebackers. "They will pick up the
3-4 easily. It is a relatively easy adjustment from the base 4-3. One is odd
and one is even with different shades. Everything is gap controlled."

Korby echoed his teammates, "We are all trying to help each other here. We
are already bonding. This is my fourth year here and it is good to finally
see a coach come here and do it the right way. So, we are definitely headed
in the right direction."

Korby sees a key in offensive line progress credited to Akey's selection of
Dan Finn as that position's coach. Finn has the line is executing with
technique.

"You know, he really does know his stuff. He is a good teacher and a good
person. O-line is all about technique. You have to be a technician to play
the position. Coach Finn is going to be a good coach, so it is going to work
out for all of us," said Korby who has started 23 consecutive games as
Idaho's center.

Idaho practices follow the NCAA guidelines of acclimating from helmets only
to full gear. The 29 practices will have about four to five controlled
scrimmages, with the first full scrimmage slated for Friday. But right now,
an excited Akey cannot wait to get into the full swing of things.

"It's like hurry up and wait right now. We are chomping at the bit. It's a
nice dress rehearsal."

However, with the early jitters of the first day and many dropped balls,
Akey summed up his Vandals' effort as "a good day with things pretty clean."
Akey pointed out that there was only one offsides call.

He assessed the first of 29 practices as, "Everyone is healthy right now.
There are many measurements for this team. What the outside world is going
to see is an energetic and enthusiastic football team that will play hard
and I would like to think that the Vandal nation would be proud of that."

Idaho opens its season on Sept. 1 against the University of Southern
California, a team that most polls have rated as No. 1.

"There's a great measurement for you," said Akey. "Idaho is rated as ninth
place in the WAC and we play the number one team in the country. I'm kind of
looking forward to that challenge and that opportunity."