[Vision2020] "The Creation" C-Span 2 Sunday: An Appeal To Save Life On Earth

Ted Moffett starbliss at gmail.com
Sat Aug 4 14:01:25 PDT 2007

*All:*
**
*Note that this will air live 9 AM-Noon Pacific time:*
**
*
http://www.booktv.org/program.aspx?ProgramId=8441&SectionName=In%20Depth&PlayMedia=No
*
**
*Pulitzer Prize-winning author and biologist Edward O. Wilson will be our
guest for In Depth on August 5th (LIVE Noon-3pm ET).  Mr. Wilson, who has
taught at Harvard University since the mid-1950s and is currently university
research professor there, was named one of America's 25 most influential
people by Time magazine in 1996. *
*

Works by E.O. Wilson: "The Theory of Island Biogeography" with Robert H.
MacArthur (1967); "A Primer of Population Biology" with William H. Bossert
(1971); "The Insect Societies" (1971); "Life on Earth" with 6 co-authors
(1973); "Sociobiology: The New Synthesis" (1975); "On Human Nature" (1978);
"Caste and Ecology in the Social Insects" with George F. Oster (1978);
"Genes, Mind, and Culture" with Charles J. Lumsden (1981); "Promethean Fire"
with Charles J. Lumsden (1983); "Biophilia" (1984); "The Ants" with Bert
Holldobler (1990); "Success and Dominance in Ecosystems: The Case of the
Social Insects" (1990); "The Diversity of Life" (1992); "Journey to the
Ants" with Bert Holldobler (1994); "Naturalist" (1994); "In Search of
Nature" (1996); "Consilience:The Unity of Knowledge" (1998); "The Future of
Life" (2002); "From So Simple a Beginning: Darwin's Four Great Books"
(2005); "The Creation: An Appeal to save Life on Earth" (2006); "Nature
Revealed: Selected Writings, 1949-2006" (2006)

------------------*

*Info on E. O. Wilson's book "The Creation:"*

*http://www2.wwnorton.com/catalog/fall06/006217.htm*
**
*In this daring work, Edward O. Wilson proposes an alliance between science
and religion to save Earth's vanishing biodiversity.*

Wilson writes:

Dear Pastor:

We have not met, yet I feel I know you well enough to call you friend. First
of all, we grew up in the same faith. Although I no longer belong to that
faith, I am confident that if we met and spoke privately of our deepest
beliefs, it would be in a spirit of mutual respect and goodwill. I write to
you now for your counsel and help. Let us see if we can, and you are
willing, to meet on the near side of metaphysics in order to deal with the
real world we share. I suggest that we set aside our differences in order to
save the Creation. The defense of living Nature is a universal value. It
doesn't rise from nor does it promote any religious or ideological dogma.
Rather, it serves without discrimination the interests of all humanity.

Pastor, we need your help. The Creation—living Nature—is in deep trouble.
*Edward O. Wilson*, a Harvard professor for nearly five decades, has
conducted field research throughout the world and written more than twenty
books, including *The Ants*, *The Diversity of Life*, and *On Human Nature*.
His awards include two Pulitzer Prizes and the National Medal of Science. He
lives in Lexington, Massachusetts.