[Vision2020] Mere Christianity!

keely emerinemix kjajmix1 at msn.com
Fri Aug 3 05:19:11 PDT 2007

Ted,I guess I still don't understand how you would have gotten any sense of disrespect from me regarding what I wrote about "taking seriously" Ralph's, my, or even Josh McDowell's arguments.  Ralph is a highly respected scholar; I'm a homemaker with a fairly worthless BA but a lot of grit and a little knowledge.  Our obvious disagreements aside, I think you would understand that I take seriously (and intend to respond kindly to) Ralph's scholarship, just as I would hope he'd take seriously and respond kindly to my contention -- belief, opinion, hope -- that Jesus rose from the dead.Am I avoiding debate with him?  I suppose, but perhaps not for the reasons you think.  One, I'm outgunned in scholarship.  Two, I doubt that most Visionaires would find it fascinating -- in the sense of enlightenment, not entertainment.  Three, I know my strengths and I know my limits.  I will always answer honest questions as well as I can, but God help us all if the Kingdom of God is dependent on the skill of my defense thereof.That said, I've never intentionally copped out of discussion or debate because it might get ugly, and so I will gladly submit to whatever challenges you, Ralph, or anyone else would offer -- with the understanding that I do so as someone with, yeah, a decade or so of lay ministry under my belt and, more important, a quarter-century of fervent belief that though I "see through a mirror darkly" now, it will all be made clear someday.keely"And these women that you spit on as they try to change their worlds/Are immune to your consultations . . . they're quite aware of what they're going through"(With apologies to David Bowie)Date: Fri, 3 Aug 2007 01:11:59 -0700From: starbliss at gmail.comTo: kjajmix1 at msn.comSubject: Re: [Vision2020] Mere Christianity!CC: vision2020 at moscow.com; nielsen at uidaho.edu
keely et. al.

You wrote to Ralph:

I believe that Jesus is in Heaven, having risen from the grave.  You don't.  And so, since some thinking people might take either of us seriously, let's let them decide -- with or without Josh McDowell, whose apologetic works I haven't read.

----
Yes, I did read this that you were "making fun" of yourself, but your wording is easily read to imply you don't take Ralph's comments on the Resurrection seriously.  It seemed you were avoiding a discussion on this subject with Ralph when you stated "let's let them decide."

You can easily dispel my assumption that you were stating that Ralph's biblical scholarship and opinions on the Resurrection are not to be taken seriously (this was my main objection), by simply stating that you respect his opinions and knowledge of the Bible.  We know that you disagree with him on critical issues, but this does not preclude respect for someones knowledge and reasoning.

Or perhaps you do not respect Ralph's scholarship on the Bible.  Ralph certainly appears to offer his Biblical knowledge in all seriousness, and has defended his opinions on these matters when pressed.
------

Regarding my kind words about Nick Gier that I stated you dismissed as somehow out of line, the comments in question appear below, but I cannot find any response from you to my post!  It is possible you sent an "off list" e-mail response, but if so, this is lost in cyberspace oblivion.  I therefore apologize for making implications that now appear untrue!

http://mailman.fsr.com/pipermail/vision2020/2006-June/031807.html

Dick et. al.Why don't you focus your attention on Nick's arguments about the US decisionto invade Iraq regarding whether it was wise or not, instead of makingpersonal attacks against him?  Your personal attacks do nothing to further a
full understanding of how it is best to resolve the situation in Iraq.After having Nick as a teacher for several courses at the U of I, andknowing him a bit outside the classroom, I can assure you he does not
"salivate every time one of our troops gets accused of some heinouscrime..." as you put it.  I have found Nick to be a caring and kind person,and I am certain he feels saddened by the tragedies befalling US troops in
Iraq.
Nor is it credible to suggest Nick wishes to see the "return of Iraq to adictatorship like Saddam's" as you phrased it.  This is a baseless personalattack to suggest this is what Nick wants, that only reveals your extreme
bias against someone who presents thoughtful and well reasoned fact basedanalysis regarding the war in Iraq.Ted Moffett
Ted Moffett