[Vision2020] The UI Friday Letter for August 3, 2007

Tom Hansen thansen at moscow.com
Fri Aug 3 05:36:58 PDT 2007

Copied and pasted below is the UI Friday Letter for August 3, 2007 -

University of Idaho
Office of the President
Moscow, Idaho 83844-3151
Phone: 208-885-6365
Fax: 208-885-6558

The Friday Letter
A Newsletter for University of Idaho Alumni and Friends Aug. 3, 2007

Dear Friends,

Supporting the University's land-grant mission to meet the broad educational
needs of the people of Idaho, our Strategic Action Plan calls for
development of academic and outreach programs based on communities'
requirements, as well as University expertise. As we prepare for the start
of fall semester classes on August 20, a wonderful example of how we are
putting our Strategic Plan into action is taking shape. Our important and
exciting new Executive Master's of Business Administration program welcomes
its first students this semester in Sandpoint.

The Executive MBA program is a two-year graduate program in management,
designed for working managers and professionals who are on an executive
career path. The following year's entering class will be based in Coeur
d'Alene, so the two-year program will be available in both Sandpoint and
Coeur d'Alene, starting in alternate years.

Courses will be team-taught by senior faculty in the College of Business and
Economics, and will examine the complex leadership challenges and
opportunities of current and future business environments. This integrated
program stresses leadership, globalization, sustainability, decision-making,
execution and relationships.

Our new MBA students arrive on the Moscow campus August 15, to undergo three
days of intensive coursework here. Then, their regular classes will be held
at the Coldwater Creek Training Center in Sandpoint. I look forward to
awarding degrees to these students in May 2009, and I anticipate with
pleasure and pride the many benefits they will bring to their, and our,
communities.

To learn more about the Idaho EMBA program, contact the College of Business
and Economics at (208) 885-0555 or yvonnes at uidaho.edu.

Tim White
President

Here's the latest news from the University of Idaho:

The University of Idaho Integrated Design Lab has received a $100,000 grant
from the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency's Pacific Northwest Region to
develop climate and building-type specific design strategy resources that
will guide designers for years to come. Researchers at the design lab,
located in Boise, will analyze climates and microclimates in Idaho, Oregon,
Alaska and Washington. Using the data, they will match design techniques
with climate differences for maximum energy efficiency. The techniques will
be compiled and made available to designers.

The University's residence halls have gone wireless. This summer, Ethernet
connections were upgraded from 10 megabits per second to 100 mb per second.
Funding for the wireless upgrade was provided through a grant from the
Student Computing Advisory Committee. Speed and convenience are important to
the current generation of college students who are more likely to use Google
to look up definitions and spellings than in a dictionary, are savvy about
downloading music and movies, and watch shows on their computer rather than
on a television.

Elected officials, community leaders and residents of northern Idaho cities
and towns are invited to learn new strategies to broaden leadership and
create vibrant, entrepreneurial communities during sessions planned Aug. 8
in Lewiston and Aug. 9 in Coeur d'Alene. The two key presenters during the
Opportunities to Lead sessions will be David Beurle, managing director of
Innovative Leadership Australia, and Matt Leighninger, executive director of
the Deliberative Democracy Consortium. Cost is $20. Registration deadline is
today. For more information or to register, contact Erin-Kae Rice at
ekrice at uidaho.edu or (208) 885-7182.

Seeya round town, Moscow.

Take care, Vandals.

UI '96