[Vision2020] Army Officer Accuses His Generals of Iraq Failures

Sunil Ramalingam sunilramalingam at hotmail.com
Sat Apr 28 10:56:40 PDT 2007

Donovan,

On the one hand I don't disagree that the administration 'screwed this war
up;' having said that, I think wars like this are always going to end in
failure.  But since the war began, up until he announced the 'surge,' Bush
has said that the military has been sent all the troops they requested.
Why didn't the generals request more troops from the beginning?  Why didn't
they admit how poorly things were going and put it back in the lap of the
administration?

It seems to me that generals saw the treatment Gen. Shinseki received after
saying that four to five hundred thousand troops would be needed for the
war, and they didn't want the same treatment for themselves.  That's their
fault, isn't it?

Sunil