[Vision2020] More RECALL: American Nutrition, Inc. (including Costco) Issues Voluntary Recall

Saundra Lund sslund at roadrunner.com
Fri Apr 27 12:17:38 PDT 2007

Visionaries:

I think I've already posted most of the below information with the exception
of the Costco canned dog food, which I've been sitting on since yesterday
while trying to get confirmation of the rumor.  Now we have it straight from
the horse's pathetic mouth  L

http://www.americannutritioninc.com/

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE - April 26, 2007

MEDIA CONTACTS:

Bill Behnken, 801.394.3477, bill at amnutrition.com

Naomi Keller, 801.554.0023, naomi at amnutrition.com

American Nutrition, Inc. Issues Voluntary Recall

The Denver office of the FDA informed American Nutrition, Inc. today that
certain samples of rice protein shipped to its production facility have been
contaminated with melamine, an industrial chemical used to make plastics and
fertilizers that may be harmful to animals if consumed.  The rice protein in
question was obtained from San Francisco-based Wilbur-Ellis Company.

The FDA is investigating the use of rice protein, an ingredient found in a
number of canned pet food products and baked pet food treats to fortify
protein levels, after a portion of Wilbur-Ellis' rice protein supply was
found to be contaminated with melamine.  American Nutrition immediately
discontinued the use of rice protein after learning of the melamine
contamination.

The FDA has urged American Nutrition to issue a voluntary recall of pet
foods manufactured using Wilbur-Ellis rice protein.  None of these products
is sold under an American Nutrition brand, but are sold through other
independent companies.  No American Nutrition brands or other products they
manufacture for other businesses are affected by this recall.

The products subject to this recall are as follows:

http://www.americannutritioninc.com/Press%20Release%20042607%20FINAL%20NK_fi
les/image001.jpg

Pet owners who purchased these pet foods should immediately discontinue
using the products and return unused portions to the place of purchase for a
full refund.

These products represent a small percentage of those manufactured by
American Nutrition.  To reiterate, no American Nutrition brands or other
products manufactured for other businesses are affected by this recall.

We at American Nutrition care immensely about the quality of the products we
manufacture and the health of the pets that consume them.  We want to
express our deep concern over this situation.  Feeding pets has been our
business and passion for more than 35 years.  We take that responsibility
seriously and are very proud of what we do and how we do it.  We will
continue to work closely with the FDA in their ongoing investigation.

For more information, we encourage you to visit the FDA website:
www.fda.gov. <http://www.fda.gov/>   Consumers with additional questions can
contact us by calling 1.800.257.4530 or by e:mailing us at
feedback at amnutrition.com or by visiting www.americannutritioninc.com.

ABOUT AMERICAN NUTRITION, INC.

Ogden, Utah based American Nutrition, Inc. manufactures pet foods under its
own name and for many other companies.   American Nutrition has 150
employees.