[Vision2020] DNA exoneration reaches 200; questions remain for justice system

Donovan Arnold donovanjarnold2005 at yahoo.com
Thu Apr 26 13:46:50 PDT 2007

Bruce and Roger,

  The Death Penalty I think is a grave societal ill, but we cannot eliminate it from US society at this point. It would be a worthy long term goal. However, our system of implementing the death penalty does, however, need a massive overhauling. The current system:

  1) Often kills the wrong guy
  2) Is not uniform
  3) Does not provide adequate defense lawyers for impoverished defendants
  4) Takes too long to implement

  Best,

  Donovan

  See, there are too many

Bruce and Jean Livingston <jeanlivingston at turbonet.com> wrote:
  Roger, that is a civilized approach, and I welcome your willingness to think
about a difficult topic. Of course, I will keep working on you and others
to see if I can persuade you to my side of the fence!

Your idea would be an improvement though -- that is, if we continued to
instruct a jury to convict based on not having a "reasonable doubt" about
guilt, but then raised the burden of proof at the penalty phase and
instructed the jury not to give death unless it had "not a shadow of a
doubt."

Bruce