[Vision2020] Co-op Offers Cash Incentive to Use Reusable Bags

Donovan Arnold donovanjarnold2005 at yahoo.com
Thu Apr 26 11:53:10 PDT 2007

"Most starting jobs (after training) at the Co-op pay from $7.25 to $8.75 per hour.  A very few lowest-rung jobs do begin at $6.75." Bill London

  Much of Co-Ops labor is actually volunteer, so that pays zero. Your checkers are paid less than any other grocery store in Moscow, including Wal-Mart.

  Your are still behind Wal-Mart on non checker jobs too. Wal-mart starts off at $8.50-$10.00. Their checkers are paid $7.25, 50 cents more than the Co-Op.

  Even with an 18% discount, and 10 cents for the reused bag, workers at the Co-Op are still better off buying at Winco.

  The Co-Op is also the least affordable store and least accessible for the disabled.

  Regardless of what the Blot says, students do prefer Winco over the Co-Op.

  Best,

  Donovan

Bill London <london at moscow.com> wrote:       Donovan Arnold is wrong about the working conditions at the Moscow Food Co-op.
  Most starting jobs (after training) at the Co-op pay from $7.25 to $8.75 per hour.  A very few lowest-rung jobs do begin at $6.75.
  Benefits to workers of 20 hours/week or more includes:
  2 week paid vacation
  sick leave
  18% discount on purchases and free lunch
  Benefits to workers of 30 hours/week or more includes those plus health/dental insurance (retirement benefits if work longer than 2 years)
  The Moscow Food Co-op is such a good employer that the UI Blot (student magazine) just honored the Co-op as the best place to work in the Palouse.
  BL