[Vision2020] DNA exoneration reaches 200; questions remain for justice system

Art Deco deco at moscow.com
Tue Apr 24 09:21:47 PDT 2007

This is not a slam at Bruce personally, whom I know is very conscientious about his job.

However, I have observed several murder/other felony case trials and read about numerous others.

There is a huge variability in the quality of defense defendants get.  Those with money who can hire the best-track-record attorneys and crack investigative personnel have a much greater chance at a favorable verdict than those who have as a an attorney a public defender with a large caseload and little or no investigative resources.  For example, the O.J. Simpson case.

Hence, I suspect there are at some lower income defendants who have been wrongly convicted and would not have been convicted given an adequate defense.  I am unable to guess the percentage.  Perhaps someone with expertise in this area can point out some studies.

Here are two problems that I have personally seen and have been disgusted by:

1.    LE officers sometimes make up their mind early in the game about who is guilty.  They then tend to gather evidence to support that view; they tend to ignore, suppress, or even destroy evidence that is not consistent with their view.

2.    Egregious perjury by some LE officers and other witnesses motivated by their belief that the defendant is guilty tip the scale toward gross injustice.

I have had many discussions with people in the justice system whom I think highly of.  They all agree that perjury is a very serious problem [I am not speaking of erroneous initial perceptions or memory failures].  The worse part of it is the difficulty in persuading PAs/DAs to prosecute even the most egregious cases of perjury.  Until this changes, the justice system will continue to be much less effective and respected.

Wayne A. Fox
1009 Karen Lane
PO Box 9421
Moscow, ID  83843