[Vision2020] Abolition of Death Penalty editorial in Texas

Bruce and Jean Livingston jeanlivingston at turbonet.com
Mon Apr 23 14:16:59 PDT 2007

We confronted two high profile cases  in the last couple of weeks, first, a declaration of innocence in the Duke Lacrosse case in NC, and second, the apparent innocence of Rauland Grube in a murder case from southeastern Idaho, on which I posted several days ago.

Now appears this series of editorials from of all places, Texas.  The Dallas Morning News editorial staff reversed its 100 year stance in favor of the death penalty.  In so doing, it made many of the best arguments for reconsidering our willingness to retain the death penalty.  The editorial pieces are thoughtful and worthy of all citizens' review, especially in states like Idaho that continue to have the death penalty.
  I thought you might be interested in these recent Dallas Morning News editorials.  The Morning News is historically one of the most conservative major-city newspapers in the country, although it moderated somewhat when the "liberal" competition folded.

  http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/dn/opinion/editorials/stories/DN-toy_01edi.ART.State.Edition1.43b925d.html

  http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/dn/opinion/editorials/stories/DN-deathmonday2_16edi.ART.State.Edition1.42d305b.html

  http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/dn/opinion/editorials/stories/DN-deathmonday1_16edi.ART.State.Edition1.42d1ffd.html

The explanation about the Dallas Morning News' editorial slant is from my sister-in-law, who resides there, reads the paper regularly, and forwarded me the above links.

Bruce Livingston