[Vision2020] Palouse Monopoly Empire Mall; Gas/Food prices

Tom Hansen thansen at moscow.com
Sat Apr 21 14:53:19 PDT 2007

Wal-Mart uses the "Just In Time" (JIT) inventory system.  This system
eliminates warehousing of inventory.  JIT requires extensive coordination
between Wal-Mart and its suppliers.  Suppliers must be able to ship required
amounts of merchandise to specific locations at the time the products are
required.

Wal-Mart's "inventory" is either on the shelves in the store or on the road
in transit.  As such, any increase in gasoline prices drastically effects
costs to Wal-Mart.

Guess who ultimately pays the difference in increased gas prices?  It ain't
Wal-Mart.

Arnold goes on to state:

"With no other discount grocery stores in the area, like say a Super
Wal-Mart, Winco can raise its prices with no consequences, everybody has to
eat."

Since WinCo is, as Arnold suggests, a "discount" grocery store, wouldn't it
lose its "discount" status if it were to raise its prices to (or above)
those of Rosauers or Safeway?

Or is Arnold suggesting that Winco undercuts their competition (Rosauers and
Safeway) that they (WinCo) can charge whatever price they want?  HUH?!?!?

- Dale Courtney (March 28, 2007)

  _____