[Vision2020] Palouse Monopoly Empire Mall; Gas/Food prices

Paul Rumelhart godshatter at yahoo.com
Sat Apr 21 14:20:52 PDT 2007

I could have sworn I bought food at a massive chain store the other day
in the other mall.  Anyway, I don't think the Winco retail chain is
being overly hurt by UI and WSU student population declines.  Maybe this
branch, but I'd like to see some figures first.  I'm also wondering if
large supermarket chains, such as Winco, aren't just raising prices all
over in an attempt to cover losses in other places.  Anyway, there are
alternatives to Winco.  There must be, because I rarely shop there
(except to buy the occasional Pocky sticks) and I need food to survive
just like everybody else.  I'd be interested to find out if local
stores, such as the Co-op, are having to raise their prices more than
the big-name stores.  Presumably, this same rise in prices due to gas
prices will affect everything that is shipped by truck - not just food.
Walmart is basically built on the idea of massive transportation of
goods quickly.  I'd imagine that the rise in gas prices will affect it
more than most stores.

As for the honey bee problem, I'm hoping that it will work itself out
the natural way.  The 40% of bees that are left will breed resistance to
whatever it is that is killing them off, and the survivors will flourish
because there is now so little competition for them individually.

Also, the Palouse Mall does not have a monopoly.  There is nothing that
they are doing that would stop another developer from building their own
mall.  If you want to protest the high prices they charge for rental
space, don't shop there.  You'll find there are a number of alternatives
out there.

Paul